« Wikis, Geeks, and Battlefield 2 | Main | Wiki Credibility »

Bottoms Up!!!

I also just got done reading Wikinomics How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything by Don Tapscott and Anthony D Williams. I wasn't sure what to think before I read this article. I'm still somewhat new to the world of wikis and I'm just getting my feet wet in this area of technology. I was surprisingly inspired by this article. I even thought that it was revolutionary.

I didn't know much about the Geek Squad before reading this. I now have a lot of respect for Robert Stephens. I think it's very smart of him to adapt a new way of collaborating by listening to what his agents were already doing. According to Stephens, "While I had my head down doing this in preparation to open the wiki's floodgates, the agents had self organized online in probably the most effective and efficient collaborative that's already out there." They were communicating through an online game and now that online game is encouraged as a form of communication through out Geek Squad.

My boyfriend is a bartender who plays World Of Warcraft everyday. He has a guild that mainly consists of his coworkers. He has told me that his manager sometimes just logs on to ask him to come into work early or if so and so had been on the game today because he was looking for him. It's interesting how online gaming can encourage communication about many other issues other than the game itself.

The thing that really made me happy about this article was the concept of bottom-up innovation. I think that Gil Dennis' ideas were revolutionary for a corporate environment. Dennis understood that his employees had knowledge about the customers that the market researchers could not produce. He started a forum for his employees to contribute their ideas on customer insights. I would have to imagine that this also created a new level of trust within the corporate environment and helped the employees feel valued and possibly take more pride in their job.

I worked for Hennepin County about ten years ago and the part of my job that I enjoyed the most was referring clients to different social service agencies that could help them with what they needed. I wish there were wikis like this back in those days. I had a mail box that letters would get dropped in and when clients needed help with something I had to pull out a paper file and go through them looking for something that could be of aid. It would have been so different with wiki. I could have collaborated with my coworkers and organized something that would have been more helpful for the workers and the clients.

Don't you love how nerdy some guys are when it comes to the online gaming world??

My fiance has been playing this game and he gets so in the zone that I should buy my own system and get on just so I can get his attention even though we are in the same room!! I love how you get this too!

I am also new to the world of wikis and I understand the confusion and overwhelming feeling at times. You seem to be handling it all well though and not only understanding, but also relating to the concepts well.

I just had one question for you. What do you think the article can help us with for our wiki? What should we take away from the examples?

Keep up the good work!

My roommate and I play World of Warcraft. Our friend Dylan has implimented WoW at work, as well. He is the Assistant Manager of a car repair shop with a separate location a few miles away. When one of Dylan's co-workers is stationed at the alternate location, they use their laptops to order parts and communicate through WoW.

Hey Laura,
Thank you for the thoughtful comments. I think this article had a lot of helpful ideas about how we can collaborate in non-traditional ways. Hannah's example shows us the same thing. Collaborating on a Wiki is a relatively new to most people in this class (at least it looks that way). If I were to write this Wiki by myself I can assure you that it would not be any where near as awesome as it will be with all of us working on it. I think the article was also helpful as far as showing us that using technology that we are already using is an acceptable way to communicate for our Wiki. Liz and I were considering using tweets to update each other on our individual progress. I would not be opposed to using facebook to communicate for this project as well. I'm sorry I'm writing this much! I just had some Thai iced tea!! haha!!

I was a gamer once too, only I was addicted and had to stop when it conflicted with real life priorities. Even so, I support people who choose to game (so long as it doesn't affect me) and strangely enough there is a WoW guild in our department at work as well - in fact it is one of the few places that people in sterilization communicate with members of the microbiology department. The people who play have to be very careful if they discuss work though - one missed /guild (sorry if this reference doesn't make sense to WoW'ers - I was on EQ) could share confidential information with the world.

Hey Liz,

I wonder what it is about some of us that really connect with gaming. I don't play WoW but as I mentioned my bf does and all of the time. However, when I get some free time I play Animal Crossing. I got it over winter break and there is just something about this game. When my friends ask me why it's fun I can't fully describe why, I just want to keep playing it. I have put limitations on my playing now that I'm back in school but I have noticed that my town has become over run with weeds and my residents are moving away. I also gave this game to my friends and we text each other about it. Very silly! : )

Hey Hannah,

I told my bf about your post and he really liked it! : )
PS. This will be my last post tonight...sorry..too much iced tea.