« The Net-Gereration, are you ready? | Main | Wikis, Geeks, and Battlefield 2 »

I do not need caffine to be wired- Net Generation.

I always had a special interest in reading about how different generations compare to eachother, but this is the first time I heard the term “net gen”. I agree that people who grew up in this era did not so much have to learn how to use technology but rather it was almost a second “instinct”. Everyone always wanted to be the first one to have the new phone or ipod, but the want for shiny gadgets has turned into a demand from corporations to produce faster. If I was to attribute only one adjective to describe the net generation, the word must be “speed.” This can be good as well as bad, but to be able to multi-task is not something everyone can handle without having nervous breakdowns. I would be grouped with the net gen because of my age and even though I am a really good multi-tasker there is only so much one could take with three instant messengers on, checking updates on Twitter, looking at my e-mail inbox and blogging at the same time. Sometimes it sounds as if there are a million voices in my head, but the net gen has a longer tolerance at multi-tasking than any other generation, and eventually they will not even notice they’re doing five tasks at once because it is something they have always done.

The history of Wiki is so much more extensive than what I originally thought to be a simple editable on-line encyclopedia. I also never knew Wikis were having such a big impact on companies and their employees. My place has yet to actually do any team building exercises using the internet, but that is okay since we work with selling books. I think wikis are a great innovated idea for the work environment. Everyone gets to contribute without worry that they are saying too much or too little. Other people will help take your idea than mix it with their own in order to make a “super idea.” (Yes, that was lame of me.) Not only does it promote people to share their opinions but it is also cost effective in many ways. It does not cost anything to create a wikipage and it cuts back on the use of paperwork. Win-Win I say.

I can also definitely vouch that people do indeed talk about their work when playing video games and if you run in the group that loves to talk about how computers work, someone will always supply an answer to your question. Talking into a microphone while you’re pressing buttons is really easy after a couple of hours. I still think blogging in the work place seems to be more trouble than useful, but Jonathan Schwartz (Wikonomics Pg. 14) has a good point that blogging gives good insight into what people think and it has an unedited genuine feel to it.

I agree that the next generation won't realize that they are multi-tasking because it will be normal for them growing up in society today. Everyone is always in a hurry and you need to find ways to save time, so multi-tasking is an alternative.

You also bring up a good point that the Wiki eliminates paperwork. It's an easy way to see everything that everyone else has contributed right in front of you, not in multiple places.

"Sometimes it sounds as if there are a million voices in my head" Ok...so funny. However, I can relate to this feeling.

I know that multi-tasking is something we all want to be able to do well, but is it necessarily a good thing when we start hearing voices?

Do you think that the next generation will be able to multi-task so well that they may have problems focusing on just one thing? Is this something we should be worried about?

I just wanted to know your thoughts. I love all of the things that you said though, nice thoughts!

Hello Laura,

Thank you for the nice comments! Hearing voices is never good,(Especially if they're telling you to burn things) but whether multi-tasking interferes with our ability to focus depends on the individual.

There will come a time when people do not want to focus on one item because it feels like a "waste of time", but I think it will be more of a choice than an uncontrollable urge. I also think humans are really good at adapting so while it does not sound healthy to be stretched across five different projects at once we will learn to be more efficient while at the same time A. Not getting tired as often and B. Recognize that you need to rest before you reach the crashing point. This is a very optimistic perspective and it may not reflect people as a whole, but it does represent one side of what will happen as we keep getting better at multi-tasking.

Finally! Someone else who thinks that blogging at work might be a bit much. I started a new job last week at a major corporation with over 5,000 employees. Because of the sheer size of the building (3/4 mile end-to-end), all of the employees have an instant messaging service that they can use to communicate with each other. This is another great way to communicate informally and share your thoughts. These "IMs" get saved in a common database that can be referenced later. You said that you work for a book selling company. Do you have anything similar?

Nothing like that yet and I doubt there will be. We interact with our customers in person basis more than eachother, and since its a small store there is no need to set up any networking programs. Shouting works. Paging is preferable. Sneaking up on someone is best for laughs.