« The Geek Squad | Main | I do not need caffine to be wired- Net Generation. »

The Net-Gereration, are you ready?

In contrast to baby-boomers, our generation is known as the Net-Generation; one that spends numerous hours during throughout the day checking our email, instant messaging and text messaging. Some corporations aren’t comfortable with our generation and feel that we spend too much time on the internet and not being productive during our time at work. However, William’s Wikinomics states that our generation is more geographically dispersed and communicating throughout the work place is becoming more important. Networking sites, such as wikis and blogs, allow companies to run cohesive yet decentralized by linking the virtual teams together. (William, 246) In fact, Ross Mayfield founder and CEO of Socialtext states that research has shown that emails themselves are reaching a breaking point. Workers are spending too much time on email and they need a second resource for communication, this is where Wiki’s come in and where I become baffled by them.

Cunningham’s chapter on starting up Wiki’s really helped my understanding of a wiki and how they are constructed. To be honest, my only exposure to wikis is through Wikipedia. Until this week I didn’t understand why people would want to construct a wiki, but it is known as “the simplest online database that could possibly work.” (Cunningham, 15)

A wiki is a lot about collaboration of space, ease of access and use, simple and uniform navigational conventions, and apparent lack of formal structure. (Cunningham, 16) So, why set up a wiki? We first need to consider the type and scope of users we expect and the context of the users. In reference to the reading, our wiki will be a collaboration of information on the Republication National Convention for information seekers, convention committees, researchers, police and many other groups of people. One of the first wikis that was developed was Wikipedia and has grown to the world’s largest Wiki. Even though we don’t expect our wiki to grow as fast as Wikipedia, we hope that our wiki will be just informative and integrative for our audience.

I am the same as you when it comes to exposure with wikis; Wikipedia was the only one I have visited. It was definitely surprising to read that wikis were "the simplest online database that could possibly work.", and I still have my doubts because database is such a generic term and can be used for many things. Computer Servers can be databases and those are even easier to upload information(a link or a file) than writing out full sentences in a wiki.

I also agree that while our wiki is not going to be the "new thing" on the Internet we should still work hard because the point is not so much how much information we have, but how well we work together.

I also have only been exposed to wikipedia and wikihow. I was surprised to learn that many workplaces are creating and maintaining wikis as a form of virtual collaboration. I think our wiki is not only about the finished product but also about the process of working virtually with people we may never meet. This idea is very appealing to me and I am interested to see how this all turns out.