« Usability & Accessibility of Websites | Main | Hey! That’s my song, not yours »

Intellectual Property and Copywrites

Overall, I can see why copywrites are necessary and useful but I do agree with many of the points made by Prof. Logie and Creative Commons in the PowerPoint presentation, the comic book, and the video clip. I can understand why people would copywrite their creative work in order to maintain possession and to keep others from passing it off as their own but like the examples in the comic book showed many billion dollar companies take it to the extreme.

For instance I find it ridiculous that Fox would charge 10,000 dollars for a 4 second clip of the Simpsons to be included in a documentary especially when it was unintentional. The worst part of it is that Matt Groening the artistic creator was OK with it being included in the documentary for free and it is just the greedy multibillion dollar company exploiting every dollar they possibly can. From my interpretation of Prof. Logie's PowerPoint and the Creative Commons video this is what they are trying to stop. I like how Creative Commons allows the actual artist or creator of the information or media the ability to control how much if any they are willing to share with the public. It leaves it up to the creator instead of the record company, studio, or whoever else actually profits off the creators work. I think Prof. Logie was illustrating this exact point when he was discussing the shift from intellectual property to information monopoly policies and in turn the shift from the greedy companies to the starving artist.

I agree with your thoughts about how ridiculous it is for companies that are already financially secure to be nickel & diming people for simple breeches. However, obviously it's not just a 'simple' breech if it involves copyright. This is a serious issue that has caused so much controversy simply because its lines are so easily blurred. This problem is getting worse with the introduction of the internet, and will be difficult to stop as our technology advances.