« Here comes YouTube | Main | No Hollywood Budget Required. »

Not a YouTube Rider

I have never really jumped on the YouTube bandwagon. Sure, it’s really cool; you can post your own videos or view other videos but I have never got into it. I will use it occasionally if there is a song I just heard and want to know who sings it or what the title is. A few weeks ago I used it because I was trying to remember how the Men’s NCAA Basketball championship game ended. All I had to do was search Kansas NCAA Championship game 2008 and poof there were 20 videos showing Mario Chalmers hitting a 3 point shot to send the game into overtime. Aside from YouTube being there to quell my curiosity, it honestly does not appeal to me. I don’t have videos that I want to post and I don’t like watching them. Well, let me rephrase that. It’s not something I will do in my free time. I don’t go to YouTube and say, “What new things were posted today?” However, I can understand its appeal to others. It provides a great outlet for getting information across. Like with the colleges that are using YouTube as a way to disseminate information about what’s happening on campus to students. This is largely discussed in the article Lights, Camera, YouTube, Action (Joly, 2007). I think it is a great idea for colleges to use it because the audience it reaches is very large. I believe the U has videos posted on its news page (I just don’t view them). All in all, YouTube can be a great resource to find information out and share information with others.

That said, there are some issues with YouTube. As mentioned in some of the posts before mine and surely in some of the posts after mine, there are copyright issues at hand here. That thought never crossed my mind until I read the article YouTube vs. BoobTube (Garfield). However, I think that many of the things that would be considered copyright may fall under the fair use category like Garfield was saying. I think a lot of it has to do with education as well. People who use other people’s work in their videos might not realize that they are violating copyright laws. Perhaps something like a Creative Commons license could work well here. I wonder if Creative Commons has tried to target YouTube at all.

Hey Kaitlin,

Goodness, I don't know how you couldn't fall into the trap of YouTube once in a while. It's like the largest database of videos! I go there to study genetics (learn DNA transcription), view foreign creatures (see octopus' vs. sharks') and whatever else crosses my mind. YouTube is very bad in that way, there are just so many interesting videos! Anyways, I think that Creative Commons Licensing might work here as it does in Flickr. But then again, is it really necessary to copyright everything everywhere?