« Tube Boob - That's me! | Main | Jenny Spadafora on using social media professionally »

Are we someone?

We’ve twittered, wikied, and indulged in Delicious. But even though we’ve trudged onto the Internet grounds, we are nobodies, according to Garfield. To be someone, and here we are ‘someone’ as a class, we should be uploading videos onto YouTube. We are though the audience of YouTube. We are using the videos that are uploaded by other individuals. Through the Wired reading, I finally realized that YouTube as an application is costly. It is worth so much. And although the creators, or owners, try to manage the content, it is very hard to do. So to me, it seems as though YouTube is sort of at a point, where copyright is still a problem. But yes, YouTube is a great entertainment destination online.

The first time I heard of YouTube, back in high school, it sounded ridiculously silly. Why would anyone want to post videos of their self, if there were people preaching about not putting pictures online? It didn’t seem like a smart thing to do. But, that thought soon subsided when interesting videos kept popping up into conversations. Garfield was correct when he said the videos pop into conversations. I’m sure we’ve all been told by friends, “hold on, you HAVE to watch this!” And we all sit around a 13” screen and stare. Waiting to laugh, or see what’s so special. Nowadays when I hear that request, I expect something really funny or really interesting to be shown to me. It’s really a fun way to get a conversation going also. The conversation could last for many minutes after the video plays, to many days later. Shall I mention, “I like turtles?” The bad part is, sometimes a few of your friends may love the 57 second clip so much, that they keep replaying it. I’m just not one of those people who have the patience to re-watch a video, but some people are.

In using YouTube as a part of our project, it's going to enhance our site so much more. Even though we don't upload video's of our work, at least we are attaching and using the app for our benefit. :D

Good post, Pa.

At first it sounded silly to me as well that people would want to post videos of themselves doing random things on the internet, but apparently some people love it. I'm guessing there is some sort of feeling of psuedo fame or something that many of them strive for.

The people in those real popular videos such as numa numa really do become cult celebrities. I think there is more viewers on youtube than we give it credit for. Youtube really can give you or your cause a lot of exposure when used correctly.

I agree with your comments about how YouTube and video media will add to our site. Giving it a more interactive feel will definitely be easier after incorporating videos and giving viewers something more to look at then just text. I think they are a great tool for our purposes and can help us better accomplish some of the initial goals we set when creating our site.