Category "Teaching Materials"
June 22, 2005
Wide Open Spaces: Wikis, Ready or Not
Lamb, Brian. “Wide Open Spaces: Wikis, Ready or Not.” Educause Review. 39.5. Sept./Oct. 2004. 36-48.
This article provides a solid overview of wikis for a general academic audience. It does not contain any new research or realizations, but it is a wonderful article to hand out in class or in a presentation. (And that seems to be its mission, so it succeeds admirably.) Topics covered include:
- What is a wiki?
- Why is the concept valuable?
- Objections and responses (including the notion of SoftSecurity)
- Issues with the nonspatial construction of wikis
- Design issues (why are wikis so ugly?)
- Examples of use within the academy
- Pedagogical uses
- Intellectual Property issues
- Technical Considerations