« My articles | Main | After Class Meeting 10/11 and Saturday Meeting »

After Class Meeting 10/4/2006

We met after class last night to outline the different aspects of Motivation that we would like to study. The consensus was to divide between Intrinsic Motivators and Extrinsic Motivators in a Historical and Individual context. We had some deliberation on the Organization vs Individual context, but decided to mostly come at the topic from an individuals perspective.

Some questions I have? (these are more rhetorical, but I thought I would put them down)
How do we separate the Individual from the Environment/Organization when it comes to Motivation?

How far back should we go with a literature review for this? This can get pretty philosophical when we speak to the motivation of a person. Plato's concept of dualism, mind and spirit, etc,.

One of the interests I have is motivation within financial literacy. In working with families that are in continual crisis financially, I have found that is hard to break the cycle of spending, taking on debt and dependency upon others/systems for support. What is the impact of the environment that we are in when it comes to motivation?
Some of the articles that Angie gave us should be interesting to read relative to this. All of the articles that our group has provided too date should be helpful. I wonder if we can put these into one consolidated spot for retrieval as we go through this? Possibly RefWorks or another area?

Some other points/thoughts on the project.

We will be using the U's Web CT for a Small Group Space for interfacing with each other.
This will be informative and interesting relative to sharing with each other and the other groups. I hope we will be able to informally discuss with the other groups, some of their topics?

We also discussed the concept of "Groupthink" that Janis outlines in his work with small groups. Janis (1982) defined this as a “mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive group:
when the members’ striving for unanimity overrides their motivation to realistically
appraise alternative courses of action."
Although this work is a warning of the dangers of working too close together, especially in a crisis situation, it gives an interesting perspective on the idea of motivation within groups.

Here is the citation, I wasn't able to pull up or link the article:

Janis, Irving. (1973) Groupthink and Group Dynamics: A Social Psychological Analysis of Defective Policy Decisions. Policy Studies Journal: Autumn 73, Vol. 2, 1. p19-25.

.