Main | Picture of George's Great Smile! »

George M. Kenny Jr. Reflections

This is a weblog for entering reflections, experiences, thoughts or anything else that you would like to share about George. These can be posted in the "comments" sections of this entry. Thanks for your support.

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You've made my day! Thanks again! "One never goes so far as when one doesn't know where one is going." by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this blog post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers! Jacquiline Posis

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Kenny family and to Diane and her family. Growing up was not complete without the rowdy fun that only the Kenny boys could provide. Living only three doors down from them was a treat and an experience. I learned how to play card games, at the Kenny house. We had much fun playing neighborhood baseball or football. Of course, George would mimic being a sports announcer and do color commentary as we played. In high school the PE coach nicknamed George "Mountain" due to his small stature. He would order George: "Mountain, get out here and lead calistentics"! George's smile, humor and warmth was always larger than life. He came to this world and left it too soon, but he made it a much better place for all of us. I thankyou George for all of the fond memories and great times.

To all my cousins in the Kenny clan, I want to share my deep sadness and prayers. So very sad to lose George. I too have very fond memories. George was bigger than life and still is in my memory. Every picture and memory in my mind's eye is indeed of his smile. Every conversation I ever had with Georgy was one he entered with gusto, strong opinions and ideas, and lots of humor and thoughtfulness. He definitely had the Irish gift of words. Our deepest sympathies and heartfelt prayers go out to Diane and Bobby, Bill, Kevin, Brian, Beth and Joey and Aunt Jean. I can not even imagine the depth of your loss. Know that he is dearly loved and will always be remembered. He was indeed that wild haired and laughing Irish boy. What a blessing to have known him and to have felt his warmth.
Love,
Mimi, Jim, Grainne Cecilia and Helena Rose

Tommy Makem and the Spain Brothers. "The Wild Colonial Boy."

When our two families got together it was a riot. The verbal and even physical sparing was joyous and intense. Usually we would split off into packs and roam the neighborhood looking for excitement, often finding trouble. If we came home without blood on our hands the parents would breath a sigh of relief and return to their reverie and beer. After George Sr. and Gerald finished "reading the boys the riot act" they would go back to their good-natured verbal abuse of each other. Wasn't that a trip? Usually about this time Georgy and I would retire to a quite place and hide from everyone else. There, with our Pepsi (and later beers), we would sing rock songs. Our rule was we could only sing songs from Chicago based groups. The Cryin' Shames, The Ides of March, The Buckinghams, etc. The only exception was the occasional Irish tune. His favorite, of course, was "The Wild Colonial Boy". George would also talk about the White Sox. His favorite players, the trades he would make. I believe he would have made a hell of a GM for the team. George and I talked after his beloved White Sox won the World Series. What a great, and typical conversation with one of my favorite people. We talked a few times after that, but not enough. I will miss his smile, his laugh, his ribbing, the way he would lick his fingers before he would shake my hand, and of course his ears. I don't think heaven is too far away. I always thought it was all around us. We just can't see it. Now we have our Wild Colonial Boy walking by our side. I will always be able to talk to him and on occasion I will sing "The Wild Colonial Boy" with him.
Lots of love guys. John

George Michael Kenny Jr., loved husband, brother, and friend died Aug. 3, 2008. George found pure joy in friendship, golf, reading, his beloved Chicago White Sox and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Born Dec. 18, 1952 to George (d) and Alice (d) Kenny, Elmhurst (Illinois).
George is survived by his wife of fifteen years Diana Lynn Kenny, canine friend Piper, mother-in-law Wynona Sullivan (Colorado), step-mother Virginia (Illinois), brother-in-law Bill/Jennifer Sullivan (Colorado), siblings, Elizabeth/Rory Conran (Illinois), William/Kate (Alabama), Robert/Jan (Illinois), Kevin/Kathy (Minnesota), Brian/Joanne (Illinois), Joseph/Jennifer (Washington), and twenty-two cherished nieces and nephews. George is preceded in death by his father-in-law Gary Sullivan.

George was a veteran of the United States Army, graduated from Immaculate Conception High School and attended Bradley University. George was superintendent at various golf clubs in Colorado and California.

All who knew him will miss his exuberant smile, love of life, positive outlook and unconditional respect for all. Please join us for the celebration of, George's life at Pelican Lakes 1625 Pelican Lakes Point, Windsor, CO 80550. This is a tribute to honor an individual whose presence on earth changed and affected many lives. George will be deeply missed by all those who knew and loved him. Watch over all of us from heaven, Pal!
The family would prefer we remember George by making a donation in his name to the Humane Society of Weld County, 1620 42nd St. Evans, CO 970-506-9550.

There is a picture frame hanging in the basement at the house on Myrtle
Ave that holds seven photos of my dad and his siblings. My Uncle Georgie's
picture shows a boy of about 10 with an innocent and warm grin that would evoke cheerfulness in anyone. I remember seeing my uncle and thinking of that photo and how he still had that same boyish smile. Anyone could see
his big heart shine through even his expression. I'll miss my dad's big
brother, and remember him happily.

A small tribute to my big "little" brother George.

There are so many great memories and experience’s that I have of my brother George that it’s difficult to come up with any one particular event.

Because of his nature and good humor, George was a person that you wanted to be around. I’ll always remember him as the big brother who made sure that I was included in any of the sandlot games that we played when we were younger. He always made sure that I got to be a part of the game or event that was going on, even if it meant the sides were uneven or if someone didn’t think I was old enough.

This also carried over into many other times in my life. I can remember starting high school at Immaculate Conception and being intimidated with all the upper classmen. He stood up for me and had a way with talking to people that made you feel included and part of the group. He definitely set the standard of "Irish Diplomacy" with his quick wit and smiling face.

He was passionate about most any discussion you would have with him, particularly if it had anything to do with the Sox, Notre Dame, NCAA basketball or golf! It was always fun calling him about these topics and getting information that you would never hear or read about in the regular news.

George was a brother that although small in stature was always a big brother that I looked up to. I will miss him terribly, but I am so very proud that he was my big "little" brother.