Shirly...

I'm glad that it sounds like you had a nice thanksgiving break. This may be the last time that I can write to you in a while, since my class is ending next week. To be completely honest, I have really enjoyed getting to know you through our blog entries back and forth. I think you are a very sweet, ambitious and intelligent girl from the time I have known you. Never let anyone tell you differently. You are very mature for your age, and I think you may realize a lot of things that it will take your peers a very long time to understand. I am going to try to give you a few words of advice, so take them as you will. First and foremost: enjoy your youth and don't be in a hurry to grow up. Being your age was one of the hardest times in my life, but trust me, things will get easier. Always be yourself and never conform to what someone else wants you to be. Being different, in the end, will make life more interesting. Don't compare yourself to other people. You can never be someone else, so whats the point in thinking about it?!?! I wasted too much time doing that. You are no better or worse than anyone else! "Patterning your life around someone else's opinions is nothing more than slavery." Cherish the friends you have right now because they will last you a lifetime. The friends I have made here are really amazing, but they are nothing compared to the people that have known me my whole life. Your relationships with other people help you understand more about who you are. Don't fall into peer pressure. I wish someone could've talked some sense into me a long time ago. Remember, you can only depend on yourself. People are naturally selfish beings. Believe in karma: what you do will always find its way back to you, even if its in another form or in another lifetime. And finally, value what's most important in life. The things you really need you probably already have. Material possessions are meaningless objects. They are the producers of greed and envy.
Shirly, you probably already know most of these things, but I hope you will take them to heart. I will be checking these blogs we have been writing every once in a while, but not as frequently as I have been. It would be really sweet if you could write me back at least one more time, if that's possible. I would like to hear your thoughts, and if you have any advice for me. Always stay true to yourself.
-Kaisa

Posted by kerr0072 at 12:47 AM

It's been a while...

Hey Shirly,
It was nice to get to see you in person when we went to your school the other day. Too bad we didn't get any time to talk. Your school is very nice, and the classroom seems a little crazy. It seemed like half of the class was intimidated by the other half because some of the kids were really outspoken. Are there any bullys in your classes?
Anyways.. how was your Thanksgiving break? Did you celebrate it? I hope you didn't have too much homework over the break. It was nice to go home and see all of my friends...there were some people that I hadn't seen or talked to since August!! We had a lot of people at my house for THanksgiving dinner....not just my family but a lot of family friends too. We had Korean and Jamaican food too, because a couple of our guests were from those countries. It was really fun. I kind of missed being at school, as sad as that seems. I consider the U of M and my dorm to be my "home" now, so it was really nice coming back here too. Unfortunately, I have 4 papers and an exam this week, so it has not been so exciting around here. I've actually been really stressed out. Also, we are registering for classes this week too, and I still have to think about what I want to sign up for. Well that's all for now, write me back and tell me what's new with you!
-Kaisa

Posted by kerr0072 at 2:36 PM

It's been a while...

Hey Shirly,
-Kaisa

Posted by kerr0072 at 2:36 PM

It's been a while...

Hey Shirly,
-Kaisa

Posted by kerr0072 at 2:36 PM

Hey Shirly

Hey, how have you been this week? I'm doing okay, just feel a little stressed out with alot of homework. It's getting colder now too and I have to walk pretty far to all my classes. It gets really tempting to skip class sometimes, but I have only done that 2 times this year. I hope you are enjoying your new classes and that you are learning new and interesting things. We don't change classes after the quarter. We have mid-terms around that time, and we get new classes second semester, after Christmas break. Right now I am taking some good classes, but my favorite is Hindi. If you don't know, Hindi is the language spoken in most of India...it is pretty hard to learn but I got an A on my mid-term and I'm doing good in the class. I really want to go to India someday...its my dream. What are some of your dreams? It sounds like you have a wide variety of music Shirly! I think its cool that you don't listen to the same music that most kids your age and my age listen to. I like some Asian music too, sometimes my brother sends me CDs from China. Sounds like you like music that is relaxing, good to listen to when you're studying!!! I went home (2 and a half hours away) this weekend. It was fun, but it seems really "dead," most of my friends have moved away to go to college just like I have. The friends that have not left town seem to just be getting into trouble, and it makes me sad that they aren't really doing anything. They will have their chance someday, I'm sure.
So you say you don't have any friends outside of school...do you like it that way? I used to be a very shy girl when I was younger too. I felt really different from all the other kids, and that I couldn't relate to them. Once I got into highschool, it was easier to find a good group of friends, and even easier in college. I think people just become more and more of themselves, or who they really are inside, as they grow up. "Fitting in" seems pointless now. Write me back when you get some time... I would like to hear some of your thoughts!!
~Kaisa

Posted by kerr0072 at 3:04 PM

Writing Back

Hey Shirly,
I hope you had a good weekend; mine was pretty fun. I didn't go to any house parties which is kind of different...but on Friday I went to a rave-party in this old warehouse where they played really really loud techno music and had crazy lights flashing everywhere. I definitely met some interesting people and it was fun dancing and watching other people dance. On Saturday I went to a different nightclub with friends and listened to this funk-reggae band. They were pretty good but I got sick toward the end of the show so that kind of ruined it. The two nights this weekend were very different from each other, as far as the music and crowd of people goes. What did you do? Do you have a best friend or boyfriend?? My best friend lives 2 hours away now, and I do not have a boyfriend right now. I don't really want that attached feeling since I just started college, but it is nice sometimes when you really like the person.
Well it sounds like you got really good grades for the first quarter. You should be proud of yourself, and that's cool that you're trying to do even better. I don't really know how to give advice on being a better student. I had a B average all the way through highschool, but the best thing to do is to get your stuff done before you go out and do something, or watch TV, or do anything that is distracting. It sounds like you already know how to be a good student, so just keep doing what your doing. Do you think you want to go to college after highschool? What would you like to do someday??
What kind of music do you like....what are some of your favorite singers/rappers or bands? Hope to hear back from you soon.

Posted by kerr0072 at 3:13 PM

Hey Shirly

How was Halloween for you? Did you do anything fun last night or this weekend...or wear a costume? I went to a few parties...it was pretty cool to see everyone's costumes. I met a guy who was dressed up as a fairy and he was wearing high heels and fishnet tights. He gave me his fairy wings, but I ended up leaving them at a house. It was pretty funny. I also found $20 when I was walking the other day. I kept it, but if it was in a wallet I definitely would've turned it in. What would you do?
So you said you go to work with your parents at night....where do they work? Do you work too or just go with them? I don't have a job right now but I worked at a Mexican restaurant before I moved up here. And to answer your questions...I'm white, I'm a Sagittarius (my bday is 12/21), and my favorite show would probably be....Jepoardy or Oprah. What about you? I didn't have cable where I used to live and now I don't have a TV in my dorm room so it kind of sucks. Write back and tell me what you've been up to lately.
Peace-Kaisa

Posted by kerr0072 at 2:05 PM

Revision groups for second essay

I thought the revision groups were very helpful this week. Looking at my other group members papers, it gave me some ideas for my own. I thought Mike P had a really good idea for an introduction, starting the essay almost like a fictional story, and then claiming that it may be a reality for some students at Lincoln or similar schools. I didn't get much criticism about my paper, other than that I should link more of my statistics to real life situations, and how certain things played out at my school compared to Lincoln. I think the positive feedback will help me write a better second draft for Tuesday. I hope that we will receive responses from Lincoln in time to include their comments and thoughts into the final draft. I tried really hard to avoid generalizations about the students, because no one really knows each unique situation of each student. Nonetheless, I think that it safe to make some assumptions for why some statistics are the way they are. I will look forward to next week's class and how everyone's second drafts turn out.

Posted by kerr0072 at 3:26 PM

Hello Lincoln

Dear________,
For a part of my English class in college, we will be writing back and forth to each other. I would like to know about you, but first I will tell you about myself. My name is Kaisa and I am a first-year student at the U of M. I have only been living here for about a month and before that I lived in a small city in the southeast corner of MN. I have two older brothers and one of them lives in China. Aside from that I like to do things outside and have bonfires on the beach or in an open field (can't do much of that here, but that was fun at home). I like to party and meet new people...I also like rollercoasters and trying new things. I know this is kind of random, but just ask me anything you would like to know.
What do you like to do for fun, when you're not in school? Are you in any sports or clubs? I didn't do much of that in highschool, but I was in basketball and volleyball in middle school. Where do you live? What was the most fun you had recently and what did you do? Anything else you want to tell me about yourself? Well until next time...peace
-Kaisa

Posted by kerr0072 at 3:10 PM

This week in GC1421

I think this week was very informative and helpful in relation to our next essay. The video gave a nice visual of a school that doesn't meet the standards of a decent education and I think that it is a shame that students would have to learn every day in an environment like that. Although it doesn't directly correlate with the situation at Lincoln, I think many of the outcomes would be similar. The condition that the school in the video was in might be similar to the condition of the homelife of students at Lincoln. I thought that the pre-writing techniques also helped to start thinking about the direction of this paper. Like you said in class, it would have been beneficial to have made a connection with Lincoln students before we started this essay to have a primary source of what Lincoln is like, but nevertheless, we have been provided with a lot of data to make clear comparisons and contrasts between Lincoln and our secondary school. I am glad that we were given another week to think about our paper, because I think it gave us more time to find more tools to use for the actual paper writing. Although the citation stuff was pretty dry and boring, it did help as a refresher to what we learned in highschool. I'll be interested to see everyone's papers in the revision groups next week

Posted by kerr0072 at 3:46 PM