Thoughts for the Day

Things running through my mind tonight:

1. Would more pervasive naturism lead to better body images for people?
2. How come the Christian church never talks about Paul's suggestion that only people who feel compelled should have sex?
3. More proof that the Japanese perfect everything before it ever even crosses my mind. See shibari here.
4. I'm thinking about applying to be the commencement speaker at my graduation. I'll probably apply to give a speech on our moral obligations to do something with our degrees (help people!).

5. The problem with reason. Here's a distillation of my feelings of late. Reason provides a set of rules that help us sort consequences into good and bad. Ethicists pride their rational theories for their level of dispassion (e.g. Singer). Yet, didn't rationality grow because it helped serve feelings, and if so, how do we strike a reasonable balance between affection and dispassion?

Posted by keto0011 at 8:48 PM

Kokigami

The Japanese kick our American asses in every way possible. Proof.

Posted by keto0011 at 8:21 PM

Relief

Not a whole lot has happened in my quest to understand the role of reason although I just started reading "On Sympathy: With Other Creatures" by Ian Hacking which is supposed to follow Coetzee's line in terms of conceptualizing animal protection without highfallutin rationality.

I took the GRE today. It's a relief to be done with that. And, I think trying to be "mindful" on the way to the test and at the test helped. Now to cram like a mofo for the GRE Psychology test. w00t.

Posted by keto0011 at 2:50 PM

Rationality, Kids, and Slowing Down

Today, I submitted a column about having kids that will appear in the MN Daily tomorrow.

I also read "The Lives of Animals" by J. M. Coetzee. This is a wonderful book. Some of the discussion of reason resonated with my recent meditations on the deification of reason in this culture.

I think I'll take a look at Rationality and Relativism and Voltaire's Bastards : The Dictatorship of Reason in the West to see what others have said on this subject.

In other news, tomorrow is Take Back Your Time Day (http://www.simpleliving.net/timeday/default.asp). I need to meditate more than just some Fridays.

Posted by keto0011 at 6:23 PM