« Audible | Main | Microsoft 2005 »

Instant Messenger should stay the same

I can remember when I first was introduced to AOL Instant Messenger in the spring of 1998. I had just moved into a new neighborhood and the kids at school were all talking about this new online program that allowed them to talk to each other. So naturally I went home and downloaded it to find out what all the hype was about. I soon found myself addicted and on it all the time, talking to all of the kids who were also on the program at the same time. As time went on, I became aware of the other messenger services provided by Yahoo and MSN but I was never interested in giving them a try because I had had such success with AOL instant messenger and everyone else was already on it. Why would I want to go anywhere else? Besides, although each service offered something different, AOL was the most developed and user-friendly of all the programs. It was only natural that I stayed wit this one. I think that there does not need to be a instant messaging standard because then it give powerhouse companies like Microsoft the ability to compete in a market that they would take over if they were allowed to do so. AOL had a good thing, started it first, innovated it and should be able to run their program the way they want without someone coming in and trying to change their product so that they are allowed to compete with them. I feel like it’s a bit harsh but AOL had their idea first and established their company. The rest who developed programs will be followers or, in my opinion, the knock off brand. The true original was started in 1997 and not in 1999. If Microsoft was given the opportunity to compete they would take this market over just like they do to every other market they can get their hands on. It is fair to say the best way to be able to compete with a powerhouse like them is to lock them out of certain things. It does not sound like the fairest practice but does serve to allow other smaller companies to enjoy the benefits of a good idea. As long as they innovate and produce a better product it is fair to keep the IM market separate. If another company offers something better and people make that change, then that is fair but setting particular restrictions so that others can catch up is not fair for the innovator and leader.