Blog #1: Chapter 2 Research Methods

This chapter is about the importance of using research methods based on scientific thinking to insure that the experiment designs and research are beneficial, valid and ethical. I find that everything if this chapter is useful because it is the basics and the guidelines to all general experiments, including key definitions and types of research methods. Still, one thing stood out to me: The ethics of an experiment. During this part of the chapter, they discussed a medical experiment referred to as Tuskegee. In this experiment in Alabama 399 men who had Syphilis were observed and untreated by the doctors, without the knowledge that they even had this disease. As a result, many died, infected their wives and bore children with Syphilis (Lilienfeld, 67). Now there is a procedure called informed consent requiring that the participant must know about the experiment beforehand. Tuskegee left me with many questions: What is the limit for scientist? Should they risk the comfort and possibly lives of the participates for the sake of scientific discoveries? Even if participants do agree to extreme experiments? And most of all, why didn't the doctors in Tuskegee stop when they realized that the experiment was causing deaths?