« 2/19 | Main | Reflection on the Oscars »

Indian. Woman. Storyteller.

Home…in past tense? by Bix Gabriel

Capture2.JPG

When I was growing up Hyderabad had a bad reputation. People who were from there or had some cultural attributes were not as good as other Indians. No one ever came out and said that, it was just something that I knew. I came to college not really giving that a second thought. I didn’t think people from Hyderabad were bad, I just didn’t challenge the notion that they weren’t any good. All I knew was that I loved Hyderabadi Biryani.

This piece resonated with me because I loved seeing pictures of India and learning more about the South Indian culture. Being half-Indian myself, I love anything to do with India…no matter what region. I found her story to be rather engaging and I thought her quote about her house back in Hyderabad being "a musum about growing up," and her before and after photos of Hyderabad to be poignant reminders of capitalism and globalization.

I thought it was so cool that Bix Gabriel was exploring her roots and not forgetting where she came from. I loved seeing an Indian woman who was filmmaker in the spotlight – definitely don’t get enough of that. This piece was an excellent reminder of stereotypes that learned growing up and that I personally still have work to be a more socially just person.

Capture3.JPG

The Talking Tree? by Surya Govender

I loved the Indian music! The sitar was a perfect touch to connecting old memories of Indians to present day. Surya Govender resonated with me because she talked about her father who didn’t talk about his history – I can relate. Much of my racial ethnicity was hidden from me growing up due to my father’s explicit wish that his children would grow up without an accent and as Americans.

Govender’s story was educational to me because I didn’t know that South Asians/Indians were so involved with the apartheid in South Africa. That was not made known to me as I was growing up, I don’t know why, but I was raised as a Christian girl, hold the race. Obviously everyone else saw that I was a young woman of color, but when they asked what I was, I replied, “American.? I could see where Govender was coming from, feeling the lack of connection to her history and also saddened at the circumstances that came about so that her father could and would not share his history with her.

I really liked her quote and I believe that she is correct in saying that, “the stories that matter the most are the hardest to tell.?