Welcome back and a word to the wise

I am back from a winter hiatus from blogging about all things technology, and I am looking forward to a spring semester filled with cool tools and innovative projects. While I have a lot of ideas to share this spring, I am going to start this semester with a warning.

Tomorrow, Wikipedia, along with many other sites (Boing Boing and Reddit), will be having a black out to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the U.S. House of Representatives, and the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) in the U.S. Senate. Wikipedia avers that these initiatives, if passed, would seriously damage the free and open Internet, including Wikipedia.

Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia founder, tweeted this about the blackout yesterday:
wales.png

I am not taking a position about SOPA or PIPA, at least not in this post, however, I think the implications of a Wikipedia blackout are fairly massive. I use Wikipedia multiple times a day—to confirm facts or to find free-use media files. I know Wikipedia may not be an instructor's favorite tool, but as Wales' tweet showed, it may be one of your students' beloved bookmarks. This blackout may show us how much we love to hate/use this information behemoth.