Organizational Effectiveness Philosophy

What makes an organization effective? Is it one that attains all of its monetary goals? One that obtains the most resources from its environment? Perhaps it is one that focuses on the internal processes of the organization rather than the inputs and outputs. The truth is, an effective organization can be defined by any one of these ideas. Assessment an organization's effectiveness is done by evaluating whether or not it met its predetermined goals. Our textbook states, "The goals of a sport organization are extremely important for communicating its purpose and identity, to both employees and to external constituents." (37) All parties involved in the organization, be they internal or external, need to be aware of what it is trying to accomplish. These goals provide the road for managers and their constituents to follow in their quest for effectiveness. Cameron noted four major approaches to studying organizational effectiveness including: goal attainment approach, systems resource approach, internal process approach, and the strategic constituencies approach. (38) I found the internal process approach to be the most consistent with my beliefs. In my experience, the inner-workings and inside processes of an organization are the glue that holds it together and ultimately, the driving force behind its success. With my experience on the varsity gymnastics team at the University of Minnesota, I have seen first-hand what an organization can accomplish if it believes in loyalty, team spirit, group communication, and teamwork. Everyone in our program, from the head coaches, trainers, and academic counselors down to the volunteer assistant coaches and the athletes themselves, believes in and lives by these ideals. Each individual is treated equally; a freshman athlete's voice will be heard and considered just as much as the head coach's. By involving and respecting every member we create a strong core unity within our "family" that makes us feel comfortable and equal to each other. In turn, this creates a constant flow of information and communication throughout the organization keeping everyone in. With everyone on the same page, it is much easier to attain our goals including both intangibles such as high morale and camaraderie and tangibles like winning competitions. Like any other competitive personality out there, I love to win and hate losing more than anything. Winning can be accomplished by belittling and scaring team members into performing; or, it can be done by making every member feel appreciated and needed in order for the team to succeed. Personally, I would rather enjoy what I am doing and continue to give every bit of my being in striving for perfection instead of being forced into it. Sometimes, organizational success and effectiveness cannot be determined by the number of wins and losses in the record book, but on how the inner-workings of that organization compel its members to strive for excellence everyday. No one definition of effectiveness can be considered to be right or wrong. Effectiveness and success take root in the minds of the individuals involved in the organization and will be depicted in whatever aspect they believe. Attainment of those goals set forward will be the deciding factor on whether or not they were successful.