Leadership

Leadership is something that every organization needs to be fully effective and efficient. It is apparent which sports organizations have quality leaders, and which do not. Organizational contexts such as the environment, structure and culture play a large impact on the way a leader operates. I am currently an intern for the Timberwolves, and it is very clear to me that the organization has created a new vision and is under new leadership. David Kahn has taken over for Kevin McHale and has made an attempt to give this team a new start. As the leader, he can pick and choose his staff and do whatever he pleases. Every decision he makes, has an effect on everyone within the organization even if it is someone who works in the marketing department. The culture has changed under Kahn. It is now a new start, and the team is going with a new look both on the court and off. The environment can have different affects on the leader and organization. If the Timberwolves played in Iowa, fans would be more loyal to both the leader, and the organization as a whole. Because they play in the heavy sport town of Minneapolis, Kahn has even more of a challenge to compete and gain the reputation as the city's team. He needs to gain support locally and nationally, and how they perform can play a big part. In the Timberwolves case, the culture before Kahn was on a decline. Fans were not happy, and to me it seemed like the team was losing support. In comes Kahn and a whole roster and it is evident that the culture is going to change. Kahn states that the team is rebuilding, something that was tough for Kevin McHale to admit. Many think the culture of losing will stay, but people need to realize that some teams must break before they can be remade. That is how the business works and a new leader can help ease the minds of many. If a leader of any sports organization doesn't have the support from the people he controls, he or she will never gain the support of the public. In my opinion, the internal culture must change and that comes straight from the top. It often happens that if a new leader is appointed, the structure is altered. An example would be if a new President or General Manager comes in, he often wants his own people so he will bring in a new coach, one that he feels comfortable within his own structure. Overall I think leaders in sports organizations can give both vision and confidence to people who are directly part of the organization and also to the supporters, whether it be investors, sponsors or fans.

I believe that the Timberwolves current situation is a great example of organizational leadership and its effect on success. Obviously the past few years has been filled with changes for the Timberwolves, some good and some not so good. I am not a huge Timberwolves fan, so I do not know much about Kevin McHale or David Kahn as leaders. What leadership style do you believe each of these two organizational leaders possess? Do you feel that Kahn's leadership will be more effective than McHale's? I think that a change in leadership was definitely needed for the Timberwolves, and in order for the change to be successful, they must evaluate McHale’s leadership style and what worked well and not so well, and use those findings to guide their future. From what you said, it sounds like Kahn is bringing a different style of leadership to the table, which is a good start. I feel like finding the right leadership fit is one of the toughest challenges facing sport organizations, and unfortunately the Timberwolves are experiencing that challenge at the moment.

I also agree that the Minnesota Timberwolves are a great example of organizational leadership. The Timberwolves have been terrible the past few years and they have gone through many player and coaching changes. To go off of the other comment, I know a lot about the Timberwolves, does not mean I am a big fan, but under Kevin McHale their were lots of things that went wrong and caused many problems throughout the organization. He seemed like he wanted to be the coach and GM at the same time, which is what ended up happening just before he was let go as GM and coach. They should not look to anything that McHale did as a leader for reference, he was one of the worst GM's in the league for getting good players, keeping them, and making them happy with the organization. Everyone knew Kevin Garnett was going to want to leave if McHale did not bring any players in to help him get the team a ring. And as everyone probably already knows he went to the Celtics, which were on the verge of creating a championship caliber team by spending the money to get the players that can win games, so Kevin went there and got his ring, well deserved for the effort he has put into his career, the first year he was there. And for David Kahn, we will have to see how the next few years go with the Timberwolves, but he ha already shown strides in the right direction for the rebuilding franchise.

The Timberwolves provide a very interesting case study in organizational leadership because of the degree of change that the organization is going through at the current time. The team is in the midst of a fundamental change in organizational philosophy and leadership will be a critical part of how this philosophical change takes place. Admittedly the organization's leadership prior to David Kahn was predominantly charismatic because of the presence of Kevin McHale. Under McHale's leadership the team lacked the trait leadership that the organization would need to keep the organization stable and growing. Kahn can now provide the proper balance of trait and supportive leadership that the team will need moving forward. In this case the Timberwolves will need a strong, educated, well spoken, and driven leader to bring this team back to the prominence that it once enjoyed. Alex was right on when considering how leadership will affect the success or failure of the Timberwolves.

This example of the Timberwolves is a great example of leadership and how the overturn of leadership can be hard for a organization to deal with, or be very good for an organization. The Timberwolves have not been doing very well since the trading of our star, Kobe Bryant. The leadership of this organization at the time of that loss did not do a very good job of recovering from that and advertising other up-and-coming player that had potential. Instead, the old leader floundered. Now that the Timberwolves are under new leadership, I have noticed a much larger effort to draw in fans and advertise players that have potential to be great. The Timberwolves new leadership was definitely a good change, do you think that the Timberwolves can ever get back to where they were before with this new leadership?