12/8/09

I was very interested in the presentations today. I thought Ryan did a very good job with the Oakland Raiders organization. He did a nice job of showing an ineffective organization which is different from what everyone has been doing. The other presentations were also very informative and enthusiastic. The Pirates presentation also showed an ineffective organization which went well with the Raiders presentation. Showing the ineffective organizations is also important because we can learn from their structures and environment. The recommendations for these organizations make more sense since their needs to be changes made. When presenting my organizational analysis on Thursday I will use the mistakes shown by organizations in today's presentations to show how my organization is effective.

I also thought that the Pirates and Raiders presentations did a really good job of describing and providing examples of ineffective organizations. The recommendations were what really stuck out to me. They have both been perennial losers as of late, and one would think that the solution for both would be the same, but each presenter went in a different direction. The presenter for the Raiders recommended bringing in a new GM as well as suggested a potential change in owner ship. The presenter for the Pirates went in the opposite direction, suggesting the organization rids it's self of the "revolving door" for both front office personnel and players.

I agree with Dustin that the two presenters today did a good job of showing what an ineffective organization is like. It seems as though both organizations have been ineffective for a long time. This makes me wonder a) how the organizations are both still in the same cities, and b) why the organizations have not made extreme changes in order to try and rid their organizations of the ineffectiveness. If an organization has a long standing run with inefficiency, and I was the owner, I would have done something right away to try and change it. I believe that owners need to see what's best for the organization, and not always just what's best for them.