Kenny Mauer

When Kenny Mauer came to talk to our class I was pretty excited. I have always been a huge basketball fan and especially the NBA. What was most interesting to me was what he talked about during the referee lockout. I was not very familiar with how a lockout really worked until Kenny explained it to us. I learned that it was very important for the members of the refereeing organization to work well together in order to get the maximum results. Kenny was not pleased with all of the new referees because they did not listen to the more experienced referees in the organization and as a result, their efforts did not gets the results that they wanted. I understand Kenny's point of view because he wanted to make more money before he retired and was also trying to help out the upcoming referees to make the money they deserve. I also understand the new referees perspective as well. They did not want to make their bosses (the NBA that employs them) angry by seeming like the type of group that will complain when they are brand new to the league. The newer referees had just started and wanted to make sure that they had a job. If they were to protest, then they would have to sit out and not be making the money that they could be making had they not protested. Kenny knows that they could be making more money via the lockout, but he may have been biased because he may have had the money that allowed him to pay his bills while still sitting out until necessary. By looking at the referee organization from a constituencies approach we are able to see that the lockout was not affective because not all of the referees got what they wanted. If all of the referees were satisfied with the decision that was reached, then the choice could have been seen as successful. Kenny said that he and other referees were not happy with the choices that the younger referees had chosen, therefore the refereeing organization was not an effective organization.