Recently in Matt Macer Category

Kenny Mauer

When Kenny Mauer came to talk to our class I was pretty excited. I have always been a huge basketball fan and especially the NBA. What was most interesting to me was what he talked about during the referee lockout. I was not very familiar with how a lockout really worked until Kenny explained it to us. I learned that it was very important for the members of the refereeing organization to work well together in order to get the maximum results. Kenny was not pleased with all of the new referees because they did not listen to the more experienced referees in the organization and as a result, their efforts did not gets the results that they wanted. I understand Kenny's point of view because he wanted to make more money before he retired and was also trying to help out the upcoming referees to make the money they deserve. I also understand the new referees perspective as well. They did not want to make their bosses (the NBA that employs them) angry by seeming like the type of group that will complain when they are brand new to the league. The newer referees had just started and wanted to make sure that they had a job. If they were to protest, then they would have to sit out and not be making the money that they could be making had they not protested. Kenny knows that they could be making more money via the lockout, but he may have been biased because he may have had the money that allowed him to pay his bills while still sitting out until necessary. By looking at the referee organization from a constituencies approach we are able to see that the lockout was not affective because not all of the referees got what they wanted. If all of the referees were satisfied with the decision that was reached, then the choice could have been seen as successful. Kenny said that he and other referees were not happy with the choices that the younger referees had chosen, therefore the refereeing organization was not an effective organization.

Day 4 presentations

The presentations today were the best day of presentations so far. Every single presentation that went today was very impressive. All of the speakers seemed very well prepared and were very time oriented. I believe that they had a major advantage by getting to see many other presentations before them and I think it benefited them greatly. They were able to use all of the previous information from the previous presenters to incorporate it into their presentation. What this also proves to me is how impressive some of the first presentations were. Those that did not have much, if any, previous knowledge to base their presentation on and still succeeded were more impressive than the presentations that followed.

Day 4 presentations

Day 3 presentations

Most of the presentations that happened today went pretty well. There was one presentation that I believe was not the best prepared. One person performed their power point by pretty much reading straight from the screen. It did not seem like much of a presentation to me as opposed to a class reading. I realize that the person did a lot of research in order to do the presentation to get the information, but almost everything that was said was able to be read from the power point. Other than that, I thought that all of the presentations were very informative and well put together.

Day 3 presentations

Day 2 presentations

All of the presentations that were given today were good but one stuck out to me the most. Kristen Dockery's presentation about Nike and the Jordan brand was very impressive. She seemed to research the topic very well and was very well informed on all of the information. She was one of the very few presenters that followed the instructions and used the power point just as an outline. All of the other presenters that have gone have just read straight from the slides. It seemed to me that Kristen researched the organization very well and the history about her organization was very informative. I enjoyed her presentation and the format that she used in order to get her information across.

Day 2 presentations

Day 1 presentations

I think that the first day presentations went very well. Going first would be so hard because there is no previous knowledge to base their presentation. I do not feel sympathy however because those students were not in class on the day when we drew for presentations dates and I think that the disadvantage of going first was fair. All of the presenters seemed very knowledgeable about their organization which was very impressive. The only concern I had was that I thought we could not do our analysis on the University of Minnesota. Maybe a specific team was not included though. Overall the presentations were very good and the information was presented very efficiently.

Day 1 presentations

Culture

The first thing that the book talks about in the chapter about culture is the difficulty in defining the term altogether. There is no set term that defines organizational culture best, but what most people seem to agree that is common among all of the definitions is that they care about values, beliefs, basic assumptions, shared understandings to constructing an organization. Some other things that the book talks about are the stories and myths, symbols, and the language that is used. These are things that I understand very well and that I can really relate to. In many of the organizations that I have worked in there are stories that are told. These stories are used to make the people that understand and remember the stories feel more included in the organization and those that do not remember the stories want to be there for when the next story happens. Symbols exist everywhere but are not always noticed until they are actually thought about in depth. There are some organizations that hide their symbols so that they may create further unity within their organization by being the only ones that know the secret. Secrets also somewhat apply when it comes to the language that sport organizations use. While they are mainly using the specific jargon to keep the intentions away from the competition, they are also increasing their team unity by being a specialized group that understands that particular language. Ceremonies are traditions that are predominant in sport organizations. By having different ceremonies, the values of the organization are enforced. For example, when a sports team holds a pep rally, then are showing all of the fans how much they appreciate their support and are showing how important they are to the success of the team. The organization might also hold an awards banquet for the team in order to recognize which players are doing the right thing and which should be role models for the rest of the team in upcoming years. The culture of an organization is also affected by all of the different aspects that we have talked about throughout the year. An organization may have to adopt a certain type of culture based on their type of structure, size, or any other contextual features of the organizations. Many different types of cultures for an organization are created when the organization is created. Organizations like to be able to say that their culture has remained consistent throughout their existence in able to communicate consistency within their company. Outside stakeholders will then be able to see that the organization has stayed the same and hopefully succeeded throughout their whole time of existence. It is seen as stability. As you can see, there are many different aspects to a company's culture. In that sense there are many different ways in order to influence an organization's culture. The culture of the organization could sometimes be considered the backbone because it has been with the organization from the beginning and the stories and other aspects will remain with the company for as long as it exists.