« On the Verge | Main | MDG Cover I »

An outline? Simple. I like it. (6)

Given that I am not an architecture student and have very little (read: no) experience in design, I must say that paying so much attention to the visual aesthetic of the presentation style, that is, the format, is a bit foreign to me. I had to have my group members explain to me what exactly a design portfolio was. Despite my lack of knowledge as to how one might go about designing a project or portfolio (I think I may leave most of that to my colleagues better versed in the field) I can see clearly why it is that the style of documentation comes to bear with such importance. After seeing the sample portfolios presented in class, it is clear how much of an impact design can have on understanding and accessibility. There is a marked difference between a standard textbook and a design portfolio. Upon opening a textbook, one is often daunted, overcome with a sense of fearful apprehension, and repulsed at the sheer volume of text. Indeed, when pitted against a college textbook, one’s prospects are grim. You’ve lost before you’ve even begun. Upon opening a design portfolio, however, one is comforted by generous tracts of white space and, of course, plenty of pictures with concise captions. You don’t dread opening it, but are instead encouraged, even eager. Effective design actually aids in the consumption and assimilation of knowledge by making it more accessible and, hopefully, more enjoyable. So the importance of design is not lost on this otherwise design not-so-savvy mind. All that having been said, though, we invariably come back to the fact that I am not design savvy.

Included below is the information for which I am responsible and, frankly, I think presenting it as it appears (with proper indentations and formatting, and with as yet unrealized revision and polish––and images, of course) would be appropriate. The commonplace outline, used as a schematic template for innumerable ninth grade English compositions (5 paragraph essays, anyone?), though simple and straightforward, is an effective design solution for those very reasons. The problem is clearly stated. The policies are not buried in reams of impertinent and obfuscatory text. The design, though common and arguably uninspired, is reliable and effective. Bold-faced and bulleted. Looks good to me.

Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development
•In cooperation with pharmaceutical companies, provide access to affordable essential drugs in developing countries

I. Problem
A. Report on the Global HIV/AIDS epidemic (UNAIDS - 2002)
1) - 40 million people living with HIV/AIDS worldwide
- 37.1 million of which are adults, 3 million of which are children (under 15 years of age)
- 3 million annual deaths
2) 1/3 of the world’s population does not have regular access to affordable medicine
3) - Annual AIDS treatment regimen using generic drugs from India costs US$350
- Annual AIDS treatment regimen using name-brand US drugs costs US$1200

II. Policy
A. 1994 WTO-TRIPs Agreement (Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights)
1) significantly strengthens patent protection standards
a. phased implementation allows undeveloped and under-developed countries more time to adopt new rules
b. Pharmaceuticals cannot be excluded from patentability
2) Developing countries have customarily excluded drugs from the patent process to reduce costs
B. Doha Declaration on the TRIPs Agreement and Public Health
1) Intellectual property rights should not infringe on public health

III. Pharmaceutical Company Objections
A. Pharmaceutical Manufacturers’ Association (PMA) of South America
1) organization representing 39 leading drug companies filed suit against South Africa for provisions of the 1997 Medicines Act that improved access to generic medicines
2) In response to Oxfam’s Cut the cost program, the PMA withdrew their challenge
B. Novartis
1) the Swiss pharmaceutical company filed suit against India in respect to their patent laws and to appeal the rejection of a patent for a cancer drug
2) complaint dismissed by Indian court in Aug. 2007