Goin' with the flow

I chose some articles from a couple of magazines which I felt had a strong design sensability. raid.jpg This title page has a striking graphic that draws the eye. raid2.jpg They use the same image later in the article to tie the pages together. raidfull.jpg By keeping the graphics of the same style, the article comes off as polished, instaed of using random images that can distract the reader. The same can be said about this article. bird1.jpg I'm sure there are plenty of images of birds they could have used, bird2.jpg but by keeping them the same it forces the reader to pay attention to what they're saying. bird3.jpgbird4.jpg I like this next magazine for its layout. arp2.jpgI just like the way it breaks from the traditional grid to keep it interesting. This next article employs nice techniques to keep the design flowing throughout the article. elvis.jpg By keeping the page color constant, you know you're in the same article. elvis2.jpg They then bring back the striping from the title page to draw attention to an important point as well as tie the pages back together. elvis3.jpg The next article uses a similar technique...boneyard.jpg They use the graphic at the bottom of the page to keep the flow of the story without distracting from the text. boneyard2.jpgboneyard3.jpg I think my group can draw from the design principles displayed in these articles to create a flowing story that keeps the reader's attention. Magazines - Orion: Nature/Culture/Place - March/April 2008 Colorlines: The national newsmagazine on race and politics - May 2008 ARP! Rants: Art Review and Preview - vol. 1, issue #4 spring