« 18-year-old boy found after being lost in the woods for 4 days | Main | David Copperfield under investigation for sexual assault accusations »

Nobel prize winner suspended after submitting racial comments

According to CNN, James Watson, a Nobel-prize winner was suspended Friday from his research laboratory and has cancelled his British book tour after making comments that black people are not as smart as white people.

Watson, 79, won the 1962 Nobel prize after co-discovering the double-helix structure of DNA. He has apologized for his comments.

The controvery started Sunday when Watson was being interviewed by the Sunday Times, which quoted him saying he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours, whereas all the testing says not really."

The biologist couldn't believe the words that were being attributed to him. "I cannot understand how I could have said what I am quoted as having said," Watson said during an appearance at the Royal Society in London. "I can certainly understand why people, reading those words, have reacted in the ways that they have."

The board of trustees at New York's Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory revoked WAtson's responsibilities while they review his comments.

According to MSNBC, calls to Watson's book publisher and his New York office have not been immediately returned.

This is not the first time the biologist has astonished the public about his controversial comments.

In 2000 Watson shocked an audience at the University of California, Berkeley, when he advanced a theory about a link between skin color and sex drive.

He has also said women should have the right to an abortion if tests could prove they would have a homosexual baby.