« Mr. Sandman [Reprise] | Main | Life 101: The Standardized and Manufactured Version »

"I wanted you to know me for who I am."

Although it is not my week to blog, I must say that I agree wholeheartedly with all of you who found the readings cheesy. I, too, Maggie, was laughing hysterically at my book while sitting outside the back of Coffman Union. I think I made a guy who was in the vicinity leave. Just kidding. He left, just not right away. I did notice all the lovely quotes from the book that have already been brought up while reading. One of them that made me bust a gut was the title of my blog, featured on page 14:

"But I wanted to be honest," Ted said. "I wanted you to know me for who I am. And I wanted to thank you."

Really? I think it's a little much to expect a student using our services to display this kind of gratitude. I mean, if you're getting stuff like this in your consultations, then you must be doing something right. Really, really right. I can only hope I get something like this one day. ;) <--(I hope that this emoticon properly conveys my feelings and body language in my physical absence. )

The "The Idea of a Writing Center" article was just too long. I understand what North is trying to say (quite clearly, in fact) and I think he could have said it in about five pages, instead of 15. But hey, maybe he's like me and needed to rant. Sometimes you just can't stop until you've got it all off your chest. Good for you, Stephen.

In other news, in my experimentation with tutoring styles, I have discovered that it's not a good idea to be too friendly or casual. But moving along...

Out of the three consultations I have had so far, there was one that really got me thinking. The student had two letters to write for scholarship applications, both of which were due that same evening. In addition to feeling all her frustrations and understanding exactly how she felt trying to meet her deadline, I felt like I was really getting inside her head. She was writing all over her paper, and talking about her ideas with me. It was great! It had such in impact on me, as completely St. Martin's-esque cheesy as that sounds. It's still on my mind and I am hoping she got everything in on time. As I discussed with Grant and Maggie later on that day, I wonder if I'm getting a taste of how Psychiatrists feel, listening to their clients' problems all the time. Of course, I couldn't touch their level of expertise or impact on their clients, but still. I'd like to think I'm slightly cooler than I used to be.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I can feel it caaalling in the air tonight, oh Lord..."

see you later!

Oh trust me. You're definitely cooler after nailing that Phil Collins allusion. NICE!

I love that Phil Collins song! That's what we need at the center, some music flowing to help easy the tension! Good call! :D

^ Hahaha we're going to do an experiment in psychology testing reading comprehension vs. music in the background. If the results are good, music would be awesome.

You are too cool Meher :o)

Some times life is cheesy like that....
I seem to connect well with the NNS who are working on their rudimentary skills. They seem to show appreciation so much more for the help we give them. When i tutored at MCTC i helped this guy who was a native speaker, but was getting a degree at age 40. He had been working with "inner-city" kids and wanted to be a teacher, but he was placed into high school level comp class. He had no clue how to structure an essay or even that they had structure, but he wanted to learn so bad... The individual attention was much more useful than big classroom. I helped him understand the basics of essay organization, thesis, etc. He seemed to get it little by little and he was so grateful. He would stop me in the halls and tell his friends who i was. I really helped his confidence and he credited me, but he did it all. It's just a cheesy story, like from the book, but it can happen.

Cheese debate aside, Wendy raises another good issue for us: is it possible to do in a writing classroom some of what we do in a consultation? I remember a semester of teaching a 19-person comp class right after tutoring and finding it so disappointing. I couldn't make the kinds of connections, breakthroughs, just a feeling of progress with the class like I could in the individual setting. And, then there's that notion of confidence and writing. How much of writing (and learning) is about feeling like you can do it? Yummy, cheesy food for thought, Wendy.