« At least I'm doing better than NWA | Main | Just to make your researching easier.... »

What the world needs now is... personal space?

Maggie and I were discussing this today and I thought some class input would be helpful. How close is too close when it comes to relationships with our consultees? For instance, what if they facebook friend you? Are there any good stories about consultees pushing the tutor-tutee relationship too far into the personal zone?

No one has facebooked me yet, but the other day, I was at the bus stop and recognized a consultee - I didn't know whether I should say "hi" to her because I wasn't sure if she'd be comfortable talking outside of the writing center/"work" place.

Other than that, another consultee invited me to his punk rock gig in October, and if I'm free that day, I'm totally going ^^

The C4W is totally punk-rock.

OOOh my gosh, I know what you mean. I had a guy come in the other day and after we were all done consulting he just wouldn't go away. i know i sound mean, but i had other appointments! I feel like it's okay to have some conversation with your clients, because that usually helps the process (although i find that my conversations veer off onto totally random tangents which leads to the awkward, "so yeah" followed by looking at their paper). as long as we keep it professional i think we're alright.

BUT WHILE I'M HERE, i have a question. is it acceptable to give out your email? i had a guy ask me for my email (as some of you already know, so shut up) and i thought he was going to use it for something he had mentioned in the consultation about design. but in retrospect, i don't think that was what he was going for...

and another question, why does it keep putting me down as anonymous after i am CLEARLY signed in, and have checked the "remember personal info" box??!!1one?! does everyone else have to put their names in every time too? if i remember correctly, my name would automatically show up in previous comments/blogs.

I think you just need to do whatever you're comfortable with (and, if you feel uncomfortable, honor that discomfort and don't do whatever it is that's giving you some degree of heebie-jeebieness).

One way to usher people out is to stand up and offer to walk them to the front desk--or say something like "we have a quicktip on APA format; let's go get it on your way out."