« What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you get up and walk out on me? | Main | Hypertext, schmypertext »

Silly rabbit.. titles are for kids!

I am researching the role of the computer in the carrell in SWS Nicholson. If anyone would like to share an experience using the computer during a session, or of a time when the computer's presence was clearly felt during a session, even if you weren't using it, or just your feelings about the computer's presence in the carrel, that would be excellent.

I broke a computer during a session once. I was using it with a student who had trouble identifying what an advertisement was (as opposed to just pictures), so we found some cool advertisements on google or something. I grabbed the computer screen to pull it towards us so we could see better, and *bloop!* the screen when black. Then I had to finish the session, thinking the entire time in the back of my mind that I would have to pay for a new fucking computer from my C4W paycheck.
Aaaand I just realized that this is a very unofficial way of telling the story (if you are indeed going to use it for your inquiry), so if it sounds like an important story (?) then let me know.

i find them kind of irritating, when first sitting down with a client and the screen keeps flashing *CLIENT WAITING*. it's distracting to me and it makes me wonder what the client thinks of it.

What we've learned today: Maggie should not be allowed near anything electronic.

I've used computers for some little things a few times (looking up stuff in a thesaurus, showing how to do things in MS Word, etc.). If that's the kind of stuff you're wondering about, I can talk to you about that.

Yes yes, take away Maggie's Ipod & cellphone muhahaha.

I use the computers to show clients quicktips & general WC online resources. Like John, I've also showed people how to format/number pages in MS Word. I think having a computer nearby is quite useful & helpful.

the computer's useful sometimes (i.e. john and yi's comments)...i do think students might find it distracting sometimes...for instance, if i'm switching between appointments or something piddly on the computer, i'll notice some people trailing off in their conversation, thinking i'm not paying attention to them. i always try to stay as far away from the computer unless we're looking up resources together so that they feel i'm giving them undvided attention. (and when using the computer to look for resources, i seems better to ask first-- "should we look up that online on quicktips?" rather than immediately turning towards the computer, and to then face the screen towards students so that we're looking stuff up together)