« Thinking about Drafting | Main | C4W Pet Peeves »

Thoughts on "Experts"

I have to say that I really enjoyed our class discussion on last Thursday about the "expert/experienced" writing consultants in relation to the readings. I found the activity of writing disciplines on the board and going through their key characteristics really helped me to understand how interconnected disciplines are and how we all can work together to help serve a multiplicity of disciplines studied by students using our center. As far as the articles, I expressed in class my discontent with the "ignorant" tutor. As I explained, in my field of the Humanities (Spanish Studies, Chicano/Latino Studies, Social Justice) that the word "ignorant" refers to someone who is uneducated and so not in the loop with the issues such as race/ethnicity, class, gender, and so on. In this case, I can note how words and meanings change with the area of study. So, while "ignorant" might express how some people feel about tutors who are not majoring in every single subject that there could possibly be says a lot about how we should be work with each of writing that we see come through the center. I think it is important to be knowledgeable about many different areas, but also encourage a student to see a consultant that is in their field if it makes them feel better and if it is at all possible due to scheduling issues. Somethings looking for clarity due to a lack of experience is good, but then again it is all about approach. Some don't want to come in to give a presentation about their topic, they are here for help, which sometimes can be ambiguous depending on how the student interperts our services. Finally, I just wanted to say that I like the reference aspect that the Cuba text provides. This is good reading for everyone just to have on hand, which also adds to our knowledge as another tool to help us during consulting!