« stop, collaborate and listen | Main | blogging on the installment plan (there IS a part 2) »

....What do you when...?

After reading the text on "Cultural Conflicts in the Writing Center," I was better able to intepert my feelings towards a few sessions. I always wonder what to say during difficult times. I know that the article has it's own perspective, but for me, I always like to take the text slightly out of context and relate it to my own expereinces. I have had a few sessions, all of which have been in Nicholson that just end up being difficult to navigate at first due to some cultural differences. I don't want to stereotpye of offend, but I will say what I need to say. I have noticed that is a MAJOR difference in the attidues between international students, immigrant/first generation students and even refugee students. My experience has been working with both pouplations and seeing how some international students will come in a totally take over and act like they know everything, but then again, if you knew, why would you come to the Center? Beyond this shallow thought, I just watch their mannerisms. I see how they are reluctant to shake my hand or how they just can' t get into the seat before DEMANDING something!!! One guy (I'm levaing out the origin) told me "just look and the grammar and touch nothing else!" I looked at him and spoke calmly, but also firmly and expalined the rules of the center and told him that if this is not what his is looking for, then he might need to find himself another service because I will not tolerate the attitude or the putting down of our Center. He finally understood that I was on his side, I'm here to help, not destroy. Again, people's perceptions and attitudes need to be more openminded, regarless of previous experiences, which is a theme this is hinted at in the assigned texts and our class conversations. I have others from similar origins that love to SNATCH papers and talk loudly just to assert power. Now, I being of many cultures try to understand this concept, but honestly there needs to be a line that says that culture is one thing, but all people regarless of origin can have an attitude. It is then interesting to work with immigrant students or first generation, or even refuguee students in both Nicholson and Appleby. They just have a more sincere approach to asking for help that at times almost breaks my heart, because they are too appolligetic (oh, no, where's spell check on this computer...? :D) Anyway, they are kind and thoughtful of their situations and appreciate the help, so I wonder is a question of origin with culture of just the nature of their status in society. Those that are grateful for an opportunity know how to express it, but when I guess one knows that they have the talent and that really the only thing in their way is a LANGUAGE BARRIER, they find their time wasted by coming to the Center, which is what one girl told me just the other day. Ay ay ay... So, I have more to say, but I'm much rather verbalize it so that people don't get the worng idea. Yeah, that means I should be more clear in my writing, but the reality is that is not about clarity as much as it is about understanding for oneself from where is feeling origniates. I've been working on my blog for the Friday meeting that really goes in depth about a consultation that seemed to be going to hell in a handbasket until I took more control and saved it from some over-hyped archetict student.... On another note, I'm excited for the DVD today, I'm hoping to leave my other class early in order to be able to see it. Anything about borders and (de)construction really is my interest, so hasta luego!