« The Place Where Theory and Practice Meet: Flexibility within a Writing Consultant | Main | Writing Outside the Margins: An Analysis of the Writing Experiences of Multilingual Individuals »

Examining MotivationsAmong First-Year Writing Consultants

The purpose of this study is to examine the motivations of first-year writing consultants for pursuing this line of work. Three first-year writing consultants were subjected to tape-recorded interviews. Close-readings of the interview transcriptions were presented in order to provide an analysis of motivations. Finally, a reflection of the author's own motivations, in concert with those of his interview subjects, are offered. Previous studies on teacher motivation were analyzed in order to create a theoretical framework for a discussion of motivators. A primary conclusion of this inquiry paper is that there are several fundamental motivators common among writing consultants writ large. These motivators include pleasure with working in an intellectual environment, a strong sense of community, and a joy found in assisting people with writing.

I like your choice of language. I didn't feel that I was subjected to your interview. It wasn't entirely excrutiating. You make it sound like torture.