Me with nothin to say, and you in your autumn sweater...

Since I think I'm the one who gets the most spastic about these things,

Continue reading "Me with nothin to say, and you in your autumn sweater..." »

So Many Decisions

Continue reading "So Many Decisions" »

booooo, computers

i knew this was going to happen! my internet cut out before posting my blog entry. i was trying to be fancy and use the extended entry, so i copied that part, but i've lost my little intro. frustrating. here goes again, i think:

i feel like i've spent a lot of time thinking about the way that race is taught, discussed, and written about in a university setting-- one of my majors is designed around race and questions of social change, and i've t.a.'ed for a couple of classes that focused on race. but i am still a bit stymied by villanueva's main question: how do you respond to someone who says racism doesn't exist? i think villanueva's more suggestive than prescriptive in this essay, so here goes one attempt to draw it out a bit:

Continue reading "booooo, computers" »

Boop!

Does anybody else ever get words, or in my case, sounds stuck in their head??? I've been walking around campus for the past three weeks, swear to god, saying "boop!" in my head. Am I crazy?? Anyone know how to get rid of this brainworm?

Continue reading "Boop!" »

OK, let's talk about racism

One of the most fundamental things I learned in Intro to Cultural Studies is that everyone is racist. And of course, Crash was also used in CSCL as a form of media to show us just that. On top of Cultural Studies, my parents remind me often that if I don't get grades that are better than my peers, I'm less likely to be hired by a company if, say, a Caucasian performs just as well as I do. Like Villanueva says, even though we want life to be fair and equal, life often is not about merit. I agree with that. And I also find the whole "New Racism" idea interesting. Even though racism, just like gender inequality, is less apparent nowadays, it is still everywhere in some morphed, layered form. It still very much affect the way we think and the way we act.

Continue reading "OK, let's talk about racism" »

sniff, sniff

Excuse me while I wipe the tears from my eyes. The tutor in Neff’s article was so…um…well…(sniff), “When the writing advisor saw David lean forward, his eyes bright, she knew it was time to write something down.? (245). What can I say?
It just got better on the next page, “It’s fun seeing the connections in your mind unfold.?
And what is it with these disability essays always bringing up Edison and Einstein?

I really liked the Weaver article. She really did her research well on ASL. I studied it for a year and being a linguist (in training) I am glad to see it being presented as a language of its own. It is not signed English so deaf students need to be considered NNS students. I really like the way she figured out a solution to her “problem? (our problem, being audists) and helped her and maybe her prof just see things in a new light. Deaf people miss a lot of what is going on…we really take our hearing for granted, especially in an academic setting. All of the little cues, tones and afterthoughts that aren’t part of the powerpoint or caught by the ASL interpreter or even things that don’t translate. Deaf students are often frustrated. Anyway I read her article right after the (sappy) learning disability article. I’m not saying that learning disabled students shouldn’t get a little extra patience or a different way to approach (isn’t every student just a little different from the next in their approach and ability?) there’s no doubt or problem with that – its just the tone and approach of the Neff article seemed condescending (coddling and handholding) to the students while Weaver took a strong approach that worked with the student as an equal to help her be a better writer.

Syllabus Changes: Take Note, Bloggers!

We'll talk about this in class today, but I'm putting it here too... for added clarity. Stepping back and looking at our inquiry paper process, I think we need another day of in-class consultations to help you all prepare for the conference presentations, so I'm adjusting our plans for Tue 30 Oct and Thur 1 Nov. Here's the new plan:

Tue 30 Oct, read Neff and Weaver in the St. Martin's (cut Haynes-Burton) and read Villanueva (handout today), shifting our topic to "Diversity issues among WC clients and within WC consultations"
[So, bloggers, take note that you'll be writing about these 3 pieces for Mon 29 Oct.]

Thur 1 Nov, read Style lessons 8 -10 (as agreed upon last class) and bring your presentation materials (handouts, speaking notes, powerpoints, etc.) for in-class consults

And, from now until the conference (Tue 6, Thur 8, and Tue 13 Nov), it would be a great time for 1:1 conferences with me or SWS f2f or online consults with your colleagues. I can't require you visit, but it will count in the process part of your evaluation of the inquiry paper (hint, hint).