« Material Girls | Main | Spelling bee whiz in U.S. motel room, parents in Bihar Village »

Journalism

The mission of journalism is to get the news out to the people. It's goal is to be accurate, fair, and unbiased. I realized how much I dislike news writing. I think people's opinions and views, whether I agree with them or not, is what makes people human, and that's what I want to see in someone's writing. Maybe this is why I'm more drawn to editorials and features than typical news stories. Another thing I don't like is that journalists dumb things down for the masses. I think part of a journalist's job is to raise the bar and expect more from the general public. Translating things into "common man" terms seems condescending. I think if journalism continues to dumb down "for the sake of" its audience, we'll have a country of idiots. I want to also hear the writers voice. I don't just want facts thrown at me. It seems cold and distant. I am educated enough to have my own views about issues and a reporter's two cents will not sway me. I just want to know there's someone behind the scenes of the story I'm reading. Journalism needs to dig deeper--especially local papers. So much of local news is crime and soft news. I look to the media to take me out of the local area. I was drawn to journalism because I thought I would be able to make a change regarding certain issues and have my voice heard. Newswriting stifled my voice. I don't want to be balanced; I want my opinions to be made known. I think a lot of people feel this way and that's why blogs have become so popular and, I believe, will continue to grow.