Meryl Streep More Popular Than Ever

In Vanity Fair's upcoming January issue there is an interesting feature by Leslie Bennett. The story is about Meryl Streep, a 60-year-old woman who has become the industry's "new box-office queen."

After reading the cover story preview from the website, I think the big question this feature asks is how, at the age of 60, has Streep's career unexpectedly shattered many long-standing Hollywood myths.

Bennett says, whoever said there is no life after 40 for women in Hollywood is wrong.

The evidence is indisputable in the case of Streep, who stared in the screen musical Mamma Mia! and played a demanding fashion-magazine editrix in The Devil Wears Parada.

"It's incredible--I'm 60, and I'm playing the romantic lead in romantic comedies!" Streep said, to Bennett. "Bette Davis is rolling over in her grave."

According to Bennett, producers hope for a huge success from Streep's newest movie, It's Complicated, a Christmas release.

I don't think the feature does a very good job in completely its goal of myth busting. Bennett steers away from the topic quickly and focuses on Brigitte Lacombe's 30 years' worth of portrait.

But I think Bennett concludes her profile feature well. By the end, she is able to draw a picture of who Meryl Streep really is to the reader in a rather comical way. Bennett even notes how Streep hates to have her picture taken.

You can see a slide show of Brigitte Lacombe's portraits of Streep onVanity Fair's website.

Overall, I would recommend buying the January issue of Vanity Fair in order to read the feature cover story about Meryl Streep. 

This page contains a single entry by kleb0013 published on December 2, 2009 5:01 PM.

Safe Santas was the previous entry in this blog.

What is it about Palin? is the next entry in this blog.