Recently in National News Category

Fans Injured in OSU Postgame Celebration

While college rivalries can get the competitive juices flowing, fan injuries during postgame celebrations can ruin the spirit of competition altogether.
After Oklahoma State beat longtime rival Oklahoma 44-10 Saturday afternoon, thousands of OSU fans rushed onto the field to tear down the goalposts, resulting in 13 injuries. Two of the people injured were still in critical condition Sunday night, USA Today reported.
"You couldn't move, there were so many people," said Michael Authement, who heads the command post at emergency medical provider LifeNet EMS. "It was a nasty deal."
OSU's Boone Pickens Stadium in Stillwater, Okla., isn't designed for free-flowing access to fans, as many of the stadium's narrow staircases are the only entrance and exit points. Attempting to leave the field, many fans were left fighting their way towards the few exits available.
"A girl pushed me over the wall," said 21-year-old Jennifer Payne, a junior from Oklahoma State University. "Luckily, I didn't get injured, but I didn't have control of when I jumped off the wall. You just moved with the crowd."

This page is an archive of recent entries in the National News category.

Miscellaneous is the previous category.