« Starting over. | Main

Mourning a Monday.

Monday. I’ve always hated Mondays. Today, a Monday, that belief undoubtedly enough, was a true statement.

Imagine that, kids.

What did I do today? I know, I know, you are probably sitting at the edge of your seat, dying to know what I did today. Hmmph, well, the day consisted of doing a whole lot of nothing.

Imagine that, kids.

I woke up, lounged around the house in, once again, give me a thunderous drum roll please…my Gopher sweats and nappy sweatshirt. I then decided to eat some tomato soup, and proceeded to fill my brain with countless hours of watching the GameShow Network. I have instantly gone from a 21-year-old to pushing 80 in the matter of hours. I probably should take up knitting next. Followed with subscribing to “Readers Digest? and applying for my AARP card. Maybe buy a cat or two or twelve. Perm my hair, what little I have left, of course. I could see this.

Imagine that, kids.

What makes you tick? What makes you get up in the morning and want to conquer the day? What gets you out of bed? These are some of the questions I have been thinking about as of late. Evaluating what direction you want to go in life, where it is headed and discovering what is most important can be a tiring thought process, but necessary. I’ve been doing this while I have been home, considering I have had a lot of “me? time in good old Wisconsin.

Imagine that, kids.

I see the daily struggles. I see the pain, the hurt, the unsure. Yet, I feel helpless, even though I am in dire need of reaching out to help in some sort of way. A perfect example of this helplessness was when I wrote a story for my 3101 class, in which I went to an area Plasma Center to see if business has increased because of the declining economy. My results were troublesome: out of the 15 people I interviewed, only 3 of them had a real job. All of the people I spoke with, were supporting 3-5 children. Money went to various things such as rent, groceries, gas, cigarettes, even booze. Shocking. They looked forward to the $60 they received from giving plasma. As I stood before these people in my white trench and expensive boots, I could not help but feel like a spoiled brat who took things for granted. Living in a society that is so driven by money, social status or what kind of car you possess, does not define who you are. There are far more important things in this world than a cell phone, fancy car or owning the latest designer handbag. Don’t you feel as though all we care about is how much money we have stashed in our wallets? In my case, there’s nothing much but a few spare quarters, some random pennies and who knows what else. It is almost as if we work our entire lives, for money, until the day we die. That phrase that comes to mind, “Money doesn’t buy happiness,? should be plastered on the face of every human being. Branded to your forehead, right arm, big left toe, it is a statement that needs to be reinforced, painted on buildings, printed on t-shirts and be put on a Hallmark greeting card. Money cannot buy you much.

Imagine that, kids.

It just so happens that I watched the Bachelor tonight. Wow, was I ever bored to watch 25 desperate women gallivant around a rather attractive-looking male. It’s like these women were a bunch of cattle, herding around a giant watering hole, looking for love. It seems like we search far too hard, myself include. This is just a recipe for disaster because more times than not, we are left waiting, the unknown resonates, and we feel once again: helpless. It’s like those ever-so pathetic moments where you wait for someone to call you, and they don’t. Or when someone makes plans but does not follow through. I am a firm believer in the statement, “Actions speak louder than words.? Maybe that phrase needs to be permanently pasted on people’s foreheads as well. Legitimate idea, if you ask me. I know that we have been burned far too many times that it’s time to quit searching and start living. So what if that person doesn’t call you back? They can feed you every excuse in the book, but do not fret or buy into their pitiful attempt to redeem themselves. I know how these things work; I’ve experienced both ends, if you will. Realize that you are a wonderful person, regardless, and that one day, you’ll find someone who puts forth that little extra effort. In the words of my good friend Andrew Tincher, “Let the gem come to you.?

And if anyone feels like nominating me for the next season of the Bachelorette, I won’t decline.

Imagine that, kids.