I was so ready for the sucky sucky.

Electric Six @ First Avenue

Having been in hibernation (mostly) since early December, I have to say there was no better way to start spring and my return to society with a show by Electric Six. Yes, that certainly woke me up.

I wish I could say a few words about openers, The Fever, but unfortunately I have no opinion of them as I encountered Dick Valentine near the merch booth at the start of their set and it caused me to bounce up and down so intensely that I was rendered temporarily deaf (valen-tinnitus.) It also rendered me temporarily oblivious to the fact that after I gave Mr. Valentine his leave, Scott continued to speak with him for some time. I'm not sure what they talked about but when I went back to grab him Dick said, "She's back. You're Shannon. Is that your husband?" I quickly blurted out "NO! Just a friend! I'm single!"

Later, before the band played "Rock and Roll Evacuation," Valentine announced that he had been talking to a very powerful lobbyist before the show and had asked him if there was any way to stop Bush. Or something like that... Of course, that lobbyist is Scott, and of course Scott didn't even hear it. Isn't that the way it always goes? If anyone finds a recording of last night's show, drop me a line.

The show was fabulous. I can't remember the set list but they opened and closed with "Improper Dancing," squeezing the rest of the show between STOP! and CONTINUE! They played "Future is in the Future" and "I'm the Bomb," which made me happy, but did not play "Synthesizer" or "She's Guatemalan," which made me sad. No surprise, they didn't play "Honolulu." Great surprise, they covered Stevie Nicks's "Stand Back" which I must say never sounded so good.

Lastly, I'd like to extend a big thank you to Tyler Spencer for granting me that photo with Dick Valentine. You made my day. I hope your cold gets better soon. The band's scabies too.

Posted by me at March 25, 2006 5:30 PM