Getting started

Through this blog, I hope to keep notes on my experiences teaching in the Leadership Minor, so that I can go back and improve on teaching in future years, remember what we did and how we did it, and also have some substantive responses when the LM asks me for feedback!

I'm excited to learn to teach in this new way. It occurs to me that LeaderShape is much more about delivering curriculum and developing my own personal stories to bring the curriculum to life. So far, in the LM I feel like the articles tell the stories of the concepts and our task is to create an environment where students can really experience, feel, taste, and smell what it's like to lead people and to realize their struggles. That being said, the LM style of teaching is new to me and I'm trying to hold myself back from just giving students the answers or worrying about covering content too quickly. I'm excited to have Brian at my side so I can learn from his experience and energy.

The co-instructor piece is also something I'm worried about, just because it takes so much extra work to discuss what happened in each class, what will happen in upcoming weeks, making sure we have consistent grading and responses to classroom management issues. All of this is a new experience for me, so I'm trying to make myself available to do the work (grading, attendance, Moodle) although I sometimes don't feel like I know what's going on. Thank heaven that I have a co-instructor whom I can be honest with and enjoy spending time with!