« Week Six: You Will Pay For Your Lack of Vision | Main | Week Eight: Chunking - the ID you can eat with a fork »

Week Seven: Day-long trainings on iPods? Impossible!

This week's case study presentation did a great job at illustrating a "corporate" situation that probably comes up with instructional designers. I keep going back the question that was raised numerous times: what did the person who decided to hire Craig want accomplished? If it was just "getting it checked off the list," then why go to the trouble of hiring outside? A smokescreen? Or if they truly wanted something out of Craig's work, they didn't seem to do a good job of explaining it.

Craig has to learn to be a politician and manager of sorts in this kind of scenario. There are a number of competing views and interests. He will have to accomodate some and work around others; otherwise how will he achieve buy-in from the employees?

I also would question why you would want to do something like this within the confines of a one day training. Wouldn't it be better to implement a long-term program that not only imparts information (which can be easily forgotten/blown off I might add) but continues the learning. This would also make it easier to further open the lines of communication between the different departments.

So I think Craig could make this work, but he has to try and think beyond the one day thing. Perhaps he can build this into more work...

The good/bad design presentation was fun and about something I am a fan of: the iPod. There was some good information about the product and the issues that go along with it. One thing I hope we get to talk about next week is the evolving design of the iPod's interface. The current "click wheel" design has changed over the years as well as the software that runs the iPod. I owned the very first model iPod back in 2001 the controls/software have certainly gotten better. IMO, the controls is one of the reasons the iPod has been so successful.

Another interesting question relates to students viewing college class content on their iPods. Students may find it handy to have lectures on their iPods, but aside from the audio, how useful is it really to have Powerpoint slides on that tiny screen? Right now, class podcasting is the hot topic and some are adopting it to stay with the trend, but how it gets used long term is the real issue. Will it still be of interest five years out?