« "Hollywood's a state of mind." | Main | "There's been a little complication with my complication." »

"Are your men on the right pills?"

6305079811.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg
"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body."

Yes, the 1980 cheese-epic known as Flash Gordon is supposedly going to be released again later this year for the film's 25th anniversary. The title was released by Image in 1998 or so, but has been out of print for several years. Universal will release it themselves this time and hopefully with a new transfer (the previous one was probably sourced from the laserdisc master). Nothing yet about features.

The studio also has some confirmed catalog announcements for release on 5/31. First up is the late Ronald Reagan's "classic" Bedtime for Bonzo and then The Milagro Beanfield War, The Four Seasons (1981), Dad (1989), The Front Page (1974) and House Calls (all SRP $12.98 each). The Milagro Beanfield War will be anamorphic widescreen and will include the "Robert Redford: Memories of Milagro" (he directed the film) documentary.

Warner has even more catalog titles coming. This time it's the Controversial Classics Collection on 5/10. The set will include I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932), Fury (1936, Fritz Lang), Bad Day at Black Rock (1955), Blackboard Jungle (1955), A Face in the Crowd (1957 and I hear they got Andy Griffith to contribute to the supplements), Advise and Consent (1962) and The Americanization of Emily (1964). Each of these films dealt with "controversial" topics like race, homosexuality, violence, etc. On disc, each title is expected to include bonus materials specifically addressing the film's impact and legacy. I would also point out that none of these films has been released on DVD before.

AND, Warner announced The Complete James Dean Collection for release on 5/31 (SRP $68.92). The box set will include East of Eden (available for the first time on DVD), a new 2-disc Rebel Without a Cause: Special Edition and the previously released 2-disc Giant: Special Edition. The set will feature new documentaries, audio commentaries, deleted scenes, "behind-the-scenes" featurettes, screen test footage and much more. All three titles will also be available separately for SRP $26.99 each.

I remember they ran Bedtime for Bonzo after Reagan got elected - At the time I remember thinking it was pretty strange an actor as Pres...