« "This scene's supposed to be in a saloon but the censor cut it out." | Main | "Diane, never drink coffee that has been anywhere near a fish." »

"But they were out of tomato paste, and by the time they got more in, my coupon had expired. And now I have venereal disease."

Ten years ago this week, the DVD format was introduced here in the US. DVD is pretty passe' now, but back in the late 1990s, it was (well, to some of us) all quite interesting. It was by no means certain that the format would take (Circuit City's ill-conceived DIVX "rental" DVD format didn't help). Not all the studios were onboard and the selection of titles was slim. Even though I've bemoaned the small number of good films available on the HD formats (they have been tending to focus on action spectacles or bad sci fi), the number of titles being released is actually higher than it was in the first year of DVD.

I'd say that it's very possible that DVD was the last successful packaged media launch. Even without the HD format war, HD-DVD and Blu Ray (many are now predicting Blu Ray's upcoming victory) may be too little too late. DVD came along at the right time and was a huge improvement over VHS; I was always less than impressed with VHS's picture quality. As interested as I am about the new formats, I observe it with more of a detached interest. You just know it isn't going to catch fire like DVD did. The rollout of DVD was a sea change for the movie business as it set the stage for the huge sell-through video market we have now. Rental is still there, but not as the overwhelming business it was prior to DVD's breakthrough success. Going forward, we see new delivery methods pushing ahead, for better or worse.

Ten years...

So, here we are with another week of new DVDs:

7th Heaven - The Complete Fourth Season See, ten years out and there are still big titles left to release!

The Addams Family - Volume 2

Children of Men

Color Me Kubrick (2005)

The Errol Flynn Signature Collection, Vol. 2 Another Warner classic film box set that I don't have time for! This one includes: The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936), Gentleman Jim (1942), The Adventures of Don Juan (1948), The Dawn Patrol (1938), and Dive Bomber (1942).

Family Affair - Season Three

Full House - The Complete Sixth Season

Happy Feet

The Jeffersons - The Complete Sixth Season

The Judi Dench Collection This set contains nine plays and original productions made for the BBC, click here for more details.

Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman - Volume 1 Another Lear show makes it to DVD.

The Pursuit of Happyness (2006)

School For Scoundrels (1960)

The Shield - Season 5

The Tempest (1982)

Whose Line Is It Anyway?: The Original British Series - The Complete Seasons 1 & 2