« "I'm not a quack. I'm a mad scientist. There's a difference." | Main | TOS Rewind #33: "The Doomsday Machine" »

"Does this game go on forever or does it have an end?"

Last night, for some reason, I was thinking about the time when TV Guide was useful. When I was growing up, in the dark ages before the InterTubes, we would often visit my Aunt/Uncle who had a print subscription to TV Guide. Yes, back when it was a real article (they probly still publish it, for all I know) and not just a brand of electronic program guide for DVRs and their ilk. My family never get this at home, so in those days, it was fun to skim through the 'Guide (Yeah, I needed to get out more!) Not only could you see the schedule a couple of weeks in advance, but there was actual detail about the shows! Sure, it wasn't super-accurate, but it was a lot better than what you got in the paper. I always remember the typical TV Guide description for many a Star Trek episode (a show I was always on the lookout for): "Kirk and the landing party beam down to an alien planet where they encounter a strange creature." They used that one a lot. Now there's some real premium content for you!

Enough nostalgia, on to this week's list of new stuff:

Ally McBeal: The Complete Series I guess they sorted out all the music licensing issues...

Bones: Season 4 Also on BD.

The Children (2008) Also on BD.

Contact (1997) New to BD this week. This was one of the first DVDs I bought back in 1998 when the format was new. I may have to re-buy this one.

Dance Flick (2009)

A Hard Day's Night (1964) New to BD...in Canada?

The Mary Tyler Moore Show - The Complete Fifth Season

Mister Ed: Season 1

The National Parks: America's Best Idea Also on BD.

Nip/Tuck: Season 5: Part 2

Red Dwarf: Back to Earth Also on BD.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) First time on BD for this classic and an interesting sales strategy. The BD version has both BD and DVD discs. If you only want the DVD version, you have to wait six weeks (the old DVD is out of print). Interesting...

Trick 'r Treat (2008) Also on BD.

Year One (2009) Also on BD. This one looked really stupid...