« June 2005 | Main | August 2005 »

"Tuesday's plastic corrosion awareness meeting was a big success."

Goooooood morning all.

Today, just a quick update to post some upcoming DVDs of note...

Warner has announced details for the third Looney Tunes box. The Looney Tunes Golden Collection: Volume 3 (SRP $64.92) will be available on 10/25. The 4-disc set will include 60 more animated shorts presented uncut and uncensored, including some that have never appeared on video before. Disc One will feature Bugs Bunny, Disc Two will "lampoon Hollywood", Disc Three features Porky Pig and Disc Four will feature Daffy Duck and other characters. According to early information, this 4-disc set will contain some material that "may not suitable for children." Hmm, that sounds interesting!

And for anyone who likes Tom and Jerry (not a fave of mine though), The Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volume 2, also due on 10/25 (SRP $26.99), will include 40 restored and remastered shorts on two discs, along with audio commentaries on Saturday Evening Puss, Puss N' Boots, The Night Before Christmas, and Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Mouse by MADtv's Nicole Parker and animation historian Earl Kress, the Animators as Actors documentary, The Comedy Stylings of Tom and Jerry featurette, an introduction by Whoopi Goldberg and a side-by-side comparison of the color episode and B&W pencil sketches for the 1941 short Midnight Snack.

Fox is finally getting around to releasing the one Hitchcock film not yet on DVD: Lifeboat (1944) as a special edition DVD. This is one of the better ones and it will be good to finally have it available.

Disney is releasing a Toy Story: 10th Anniversary Edition on 10/26. No doubt it will have a few new features to entice people to re-buy (the film is out of print right now). The superior Toy Story 2 will also get reissued later this year.

And finally, anyone seen the movie Free Enterprise? We got around to watching this one over the weekend and were pretty amused by it. I think Shades was also amused because there were A/V and Sci Fi geeks in the film who were WAY more pathetic than me! Anyhow, if you're a Trek fan or, god-forbid married to one, this film might be worth a rent. William Shatner is pretty damn funny in it as well. The film is a bit formulaic at times and goes on too long, but there is enough funny material to make it through.

"A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants."

Holy buckets this Summer is going by fast!

Oh wait, I say that pretty much every year...OK, so it's going pretty much the same way it always does, fine!

Another week of new DVDs arrives and at least there a few items of note, so let's dig in shall we?

3rd Rock From the Sun: Complete Season 1 You know, I'm a bit surprised they took this long to get this series out since it's recent and all. This is a show I found amusing enough on the occasional syndicated repeat, but not really good enough to pony up the buckazoids for.

America's Funniest Home Videos: Volume 1 Damn, is there really a pent-up market for this thing on DVD? So sad...

Benny Hill - Complete and Unadulterated: The Naughty Early Years, Set Three When I was growing up, my brother and I thought this show was hilarious (yes, my folks let us watch it when we were kids...explains a lot, no?), I mean what's not to like? Dirty old Brit chasing scantilly-clad women around fields in a Keystone Cops-esque high speed way. I haven't gone back and checked the show out as an adult...I'm almost afraid to!

The Brady Bunch: The Complete Second Season

The Errol Morris DVD Collection A box set with three of the documentarian's first three features: Gates of Heaven, The Thin Blue Line, and Vernon, Florida (the titles are available seperately).

Gilligan's Island: The Complete Third Season Speaking of stuff from the nostalgic "it was good then" past...

The Jerk: 26th Anniversary Edition Ah, back when Steve Martin was funny.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show: The Complete Second Season FINALLY! It's only been, oh two or so years since season one came out.

Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer: Private Eye Anyone ever see this? According to DVD Savant, it isn't too bad.

Remington Steele: Season One Big 80s show, never saw it, believe it or not.

Star Trek: Enterprise - The Complete Second Season My, what will Paramount do now that Trek is kaput? Oh yeah, release them all again.

The Upside of Anger Anybody catch this one? I like Joan Allen, but have pretty much lost any ability I had to sit through a Kevin Costner film.

Xena: Warrior Princess - 10th Anniversary Collection

xXx: State Of The Union Another week, another bomb on DVD...

"That's very Zen of you, you must smoke pot."

Wow....another....slow....week.

The list, in all its glory, can be found here.

But here's a few of the "highlights."

BBC History of World War II A collection of recent docus produced by the UK TV people. This one may be good, but I can't imagine it holding a candle to The World at War (my personal fave of the genre).

Charlie (2004)

Constantine (2005) Another stinker arrives on DVD.

Dead Like Me: The Complete Second Season

Earth 2: The Complete Series Yet another short-lived sci-fi show...

Farscape - Starburst Edition: Season 2 Collection 1 Now with new juicy flavors!

Ice Princess (2005)

Lost in Space: Season 3 Volume 2

Man of the House (2005) Just don't go there...

Michael Palin: Himalaya

Space Station (IMAX) That's no moon, that's a science museum!

"...life is very much like coffee - the aroma is always better than the actuality."

Greetings DVD campers!

So I'm finally back from vacation and trying to catch up with everything. Lucky for me there wasn't much happening last week as far as DVDs go. But here are the releases of note from last week and you can find the complete list here.

Born to Kill (1947) WB does another round of noir titles.

Clash by Night (1952) Fritz Lang noir.

Crossfire (1947) Non-political noir.

Dillinger (1945) The noir keeps on coming...gee, could this all be part of a box set??? And note the star of this one: Lawrence Tierney!

The Fantastic Four (1994) The 90s TV series gets to DVD just in time for the feature film...shocking

Film Noir Classic Collection, Vol. 2 WB releases another classic set. This one includes: Born to Kill, Clash by Night, Crossfire, Dillinger, and The Narrow Margin.

Hide and Seek (2005)

The Narrow Margin The older, better version.

OK, last week was pretty slow...here's what came out today:

The Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Come on, you know you are dying to re-live this one....OK, maybe not.

Cry-Baby Director's Cut Early Johnny Depp....an Amazon comment, "Cheesy but addicting."

Dodgeball This time you get to buy the unrated version. Uh, thanks.

Freaked (1993)

The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (1987) Boy, I'm glad we have those "essential classics" finally reaching the DVD format!

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys Season 6 (1995) You know somebody's going to buy this...

It Started in Naples
(1960) Clark Gable's second to last film.

Million Dollar Baby Obviously the big release of the week.

The Nanny: The Complete First Season Why God, why?!!!!

The Rainmaker (1956)

Sealab 2021: Season Three

Unfaithfully Yours (1948) DVD Savant has a good review of this classic here.

Hello, I Must Be Going

I know you're all terribly disappointed, but I'm on vacation this week so I'll have to get caught up next week...try not to despair and we'll all give DVDs a rest for the week. Have fun.