« December 2005 | Main | February 2006 »

"Moods are for cattle and loveplay, not for fighting!"

Here we go again....another week of DVDs:

Archie Bunker's Place: The Complete First Season Hmm, what was I saying recently?

Benny Hill - Complete and Unadulterated: The Hill's Angels Years (Set Four) I still find it amusing that my folks let my brother and me watch this when were kids...

Bubble (2005)

Captains Courageous (1937) Another classic MGM film hits the format.

Corpse Bride

Curse of the Pink Panther (1983) Let the tie-ins begin! Yeah, with this dud...

Diff'rent Strokes: The Complete Second Season Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, don't you wanna shout...oops, sorry.

Dune: Extended Edition The 1984 version gets another release. This time with both theatrical and extended cuts. There was talk of Lynch being involved, but it didn't happen.

Four Weddings and Funeral: Deluxe Edition The Andie MacDowell fest gets an upgrade.

The Good Earth (1937) The first time on DVD for this classic.

In Her Shoes Curtis Hanson's latest.

Johnny Belinda (1948)

Lust for Life (1956)

The Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection A box set containing the set of Pink Panther animated shorts.

Rat Patrol: The Complete First Season

"Let's go get sushi and not pay."

Feel free to skip over the following blathering for the usual DVD list...

So Shades has been out of town over the weekend on a work trip and I had a few days to wile away. This often means some quality time to catch up on movies I want to watch, but she doesn't or spend hours playing video games. This time I did a little of both, but spent the bulk of my time cleaning out my disaster of an office (those of you who know me can relate). I technically watched two movies: Klute (1971), which I had never seen before and a repeat (for me) viewing of Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle with some friends...we topped it off with some Star Wars Lego. So spending a lot of time cleaning my pit of an office isn't really that exciting, is it? The point I'm sloppily getting to is that part of the extreme clutter (clutter EXTREME!!!) I have to deal with is out of control media. I am traditionally an electronics pack rat and have been loathe to throw away things, but recently I've been in a purging frame of mind. This has included many things, but this time the piles of media have not escaped.

I sold or threw out a lot of vinyl (don't worry, I still have tons) that I might have kept. Yeah, it's sort of cool to have an original pressing of Led Zeppelin II, but a trashed one (pretty much all of them are) is never going to be played so out it went. Shades would call this progress, I suppose. Also among the casualties were stacks of VHS tapes. I, like others I suspect have gotten to the point where they really don't watch tapes anymore (it's hard to go back, isn't it?) and if the material's not unique (home movies) and is easily available on DVD, they aren't going to be watched. The few things I have kept mainly include stuff that's never going to be available on disc, such as MST3K episodes that they can't get the rights to. That stuff hangs on until I have time to transfer them to digital form. I've still got a few Beta tapes, but most went into the trash a while back. I've thrown out 78 rpm records (most are really quite worthless) and even a computer. Even my laserdiscs, which used to be represent the pinnacle of my video collection are now becoming purge targets. Sure, there are some that will be kept because of their unavailability on DVD such as the original Star Wars films and a few Criterion lds with bonus material they didn't licence for DVD, but most of them really aren't worth keeping around. *sigh*

So this got me thinking: maybe the coming of on-demand everything video-wise isn't such a bad thing. I won't have to repeadly buy versions of the same title on discs only to end up throwing them away. But let's see how all the rights management BS works out, shall we? Until then, I'll have to continue to hoard some media...but the purge marches on...but enough of that, let's see what future purge-worthy (the word of the day: purge) DVDs we have coming this week:

The Aristocrats

Benjamin Franklin The PBS mini series.

Cisco Pike (1972)

Dallas: The Complete Fourth Season

Educating Rita DVD Savant has a review here...I think this is the first DVD release for this one.

Flightplan The big hit of the week doesn't have a 2 DVD set or an unrated version...how odd!

The Fog (2005) Never fear, this one comes in rated/unrated versions...ahh, that's better!

Oliver Twist (2005)

Repo Man: Collectors Edition A re-do from an earlier DVD...

Thumbsucker

The Virgin Spring (1960) Criterion releases another Bergman film.

"Do you realize that there are people alive here in Minneapolis who are already dead in Tokyo? "

Another week has arrived here in DVDLand, but this time it's a bit of a slow one...but what the heck, let's do it anyway....here it is, this week's DVDs:

The Adventures of Superman: The Complete Second Season

All Souls Day: Dia de los Muertos (2005)

Asylum

The Devil and Max Devlin (1981) Wow, the classics keep on rolling!

Doogie Howser, M.D.: Season Three

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room

Flaming Frontiers (1938)

Junebug

Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - The Complete Second Season

Lord of War I guess this must be the hit of the week...seeing how it's available as a one or two DVD set.

The Man

The Oregon Trail (1939)

Puppet Master vs. Demonic Toys That title just made me giggle...

Titus: Season Three

"I could be the walrus and I'd still have to bum rides off of people."

So I'm down with a cold this week, but seem to have the energy to crank out another blog entry; will the miracles never cease!

We were playing Lego Star Wars on the dusty X-Box (we hadn't had much time for it as of late)..would that be the "X-Box 180?") over the weekend and really enjoyed it. This game is a blast. You get to play through the entire storylines of Episodes 1-3 which are done as lego constructs. The level of detail is very high and you can do 2 players at once, which is fun. One thing that struck me is how this game is essentially the Star Wars prequels done as silent film, albeit with a score (sounds like lifted music from the movies) and sound effects (yes, yes, I know silient film often had music and occasionally sound effects!). The characters seem to have no dialogue and communicate with gestures and noises. Some of it may actually be better in the video game than it was in the movies since there's no wince-inducing dialogue to throw you off. The game is also appropriate for kids where there's even a "sandbox" area where you can just play around with all the different characters. Check it out if you have the chance...but now, on to this week's DVDs:

The Bad Sleep Well Another Kurosawa film by Criterion.

Buffalo Soldiers

Cabin in the Sky (1943)

The Constant Gardener

Dead Poets Society Another SE re-do DVD...

Eraserhead The 1977 Lynch film was on DVD before, but you had to buy it via Lynch's website.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Bueller…Bueller…Edition A re-do of a bare-bones DVD.

Good Morning Vietnam A new upgrade from the old version.

The Green Pastures (1936)

The Magnificent Seven: Collector's Edition A good upgrade from the old DVD....DVD Savant has a good review here.

Red Dwarf: Series VII

Red Eye (2005)

Sam Peckinpah's Legendary Westerns Collection A big week for westerns. This set includes four films not available on DVD before and a new/improved one: You get The Ballad of Cable Hogue (1970), Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973), Ride the High Country (1962), and a new DVD set of The Wild Bunch (1969). DVD Savant gives it a good going over here.

Transporter 2

"Mickey Mouse ain't got no race. He represents all men."

Happy 2006 all,

I had some witty comments written earlier about movies this time of year, but the U blog system decided to wipe out my entire post so it's gone into the ether...so go see those Oscar-to-be-noms and look out for all the crummy films that get released in January. Robert Harris has put up his "Top Classic DVDs of 2005" list, which can be found here and is worth a read. So let's get into this week's DVDs:

Alien Nation: The Complete Series That is, the one season of it...

All In The Family: The Complete Fifth Season What, no Archie Bunker's Place?

The Cave (2005) What's the sequel going to be called, The Ditch???

Dumb and Dumber: Unrated They probably think this re-do will make people forget the sequel...not that this film is any classic mind you.

Gunsmoke: 50th Anniversary Edition, Volume 1 Another TV staple begins its run on DVD.

Have Gun - Will Travel: The Complete Third Season On a related note...

The Hoodlum (1951) Hey, a film starring Lawrence Tierney!

Snatch: Deluxe Edition

Wedding Crashers Available in R-rated and "uncorked" editions.

The Wiggles: Here Comes the Big Red Car Another Wiggles DVD from the richest people in Australia...paging Miss Faith!