« June 2006 | Main | August 2006 »

"They're not breasts, they're just big chemical balls, okay?"

Holy crap it's hot here today...and has been for days on end....did I mention it's hot....and really sticky?! Argh! But it's supposed to get better tomorrow, which also happens to be when this week's DVDs come out:

Alice in Wonderland (1985) Not the Disney version and not (alas) the musical-porn version!

Beavis & Butt-Head - The Mike Judge Collection, Vol. 3

Broken Saints

The Comeback - The Complete Only Season

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Fifth Season I've gotta get around to checking this series out one of these days.

Dallas - The Complete Fifth Season

Elvis Presley's '68 Comeback Special For some reason, there's a 16mm print of this show sitting in my guest room closet..this somehow struck me as weird.

The Girls Next Door: Season One Sadly, I've actually watched an episode of this show...I feel just fine about that, really I do!

Good Times: The Complete Sixth Season

Hazel: The Complete First Season Wow, they're really digging into the obscure stuff these days.

Mr. Moto Collection, Volume 1 Well, you learn something new every day. Like the fact that Peter Lorre did a series of eight films in the 1930s playing an Asian detective named Mr. Moto. Fox issues the first four films in this set: Think Fast, Mr. Moto (1937), Thank You, Mr. Moto (1937), Mr. Moto Takes a Chance (1938), and Mysterious Mr. Moto (1938). Fox really was the Asian detective studio, wasn't it.

Mrs. Harris

The Shaggy Dog (2006) I'm so glad Disney's found something new to do...

V for Vendetta DVD Savant has a good review of this one here.

"We'd love to stay here and count our brain cells as they die one-by-one."

Happy new-DVD-release-week everyone. I've been down with some kind of mystery ailment this past week so I'm not sure how much I'll get out...must.....write....blog!!!! What the heck, Scott Baio did it...

So here we go with this week's list of new DVDs:

The 2005 Academy Award Short Films Collection Yep, all the short films nominated last year, so here's your chance to see 'em.

Animaniacs: Volume 1 It took a while, but this series is finally coming out on DVD. I don't think it ever had seasons per se, so the volumes format seems appropriate. I remember the show being funny when I caught it, but it's been a while.

Ask the Dust (2006)

Asylum (1972)

The Benchwarmers (2006)

The Boondocks: The Complete First Season - Uncut And Uncensored Another Cartoon Network show comes to DVD.

A Canterbury Tale (1944) Criterion issues another Powell/Pressburger classic.

Chappelle’s Show: Lost Episodes

Cello A horror film with a cello?!

Final Destination 3: Thrill Ride Edition Here's a fun quote from the IMDB description, "survivors of a rollercoaster disaster dispatched by tanning beds, weight training benches, nail guns and a runaway engine block, all guided by the relentless hand of death..."

Halloween: 25 Years Of Terror Yes, a box set with every Halloween film...plus those extras that I know you've all been waiting for!

JAG: The Complete First Season

Pinky And The Brain: Volume 1

Punky Brewster: Season Three OK, I must be ill if I'm posting about this!

Rawhide: The Complete First Season

Three's Company - Season Seven Believe it or not, this wasn't the last season.

The Will Rogers Collection: Volume One Another box set of old films...the list of its contents can be found here.

"How about the shape of that liquor cabinet?"

Monday again, oh yeah...could be worse, it could be...oh never mind, here's this week's DVDs:

Amazing Stories: The Complete First Season

Asphalt (1929)

ATL (2006)

Carnivàle: The Complete Second Season

Clean (2004)

Dr. Mabuse. The Gambler (1922)

Edison Force Wow, the film debut of Justin Timberlake...sign me up!

The Film Noir Classic Collection - Volume 3 Warner does another noir set with a bunch of new-to-DVD films from the MGM and RKO libraries. All are exclusive to this box set: Lady in the Lake (1947), Border Incident (1949), The Racket (1951), His Kind of Woman (1951), and On Dangerous Ground (1952). On Dangerous Ground has a memorable score by Bernard Herrmann and the DVD has a commentary by DVD Savant, who also reviews the set here.

The Incredible Hulk: The Complete First Season The 1970s version.

Jack of All Trades: The Complete Series

Road House: Deluxe Edition Gosh, I'm so glad they gave this one the deluxe treatment....

She's the Man

Some Like It Hot: Collector's Edition The 1959 classic gets a past-due makeover. If you haven't seen this, you should.

Sybil - 30th Anniversary 2-Disc Special Edition

Warner Bros. Pictures Tough Guys Collection It's tough to be a Warners box set! These titles are all available seperately: G Men (1935), Bullets or Ballots (1936), A Slight Case of Murder (1938), San Quentin (1937), Each Dawn I Die (1939), and City for Conquest (1940).

"You drove right over my heart, and you didn't even signal."

Well, we're back from vacation and all that...I wouldn't say I'm well-rested, but who is, really? So here's this week's list of new DVDs:

30 Days: Season One

Basic Instinct 2 And this Jem is also available on Blu Ray...that's great!

The Black Swan (1942) Fox releases another Tyrone Power film to DVD.

Bridezillas: The Complete First Season OK, I can almost see (I said almost!) why one would occasionally watch this on cable, but buying entire seasons?!

The Dukes of Hazzard (2005, HD-DVD) Now this is a title worthy of HD! Now we can really analyze how short those shorts are!

The Ellen Show: The Complete Series Ellen's second sitcom flopped...maybe she should consider a sequel to Ellen's Energy Adventure...

ER: The Complete Fifth Season

Grand Prix: 40th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition The car racing 70mm epic comes to DVD. DVD Savant reviews the disc here.

Grilled

I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Second Season

The Keys of the Kingdom (1944) DVD Savant takes a look at this one here.

Koko: A Talking Gorilla Criterion issues the 1978 documentary.

Perry Mason: Season 1, Volume 1 The long-running Raymond Burr show comes to DVD.

Reno 911: The Complete Third Season

Yi yi (2000) Criterion releases a new DVD of this excellent film.

"Imagine me with no head - and don't say that's an improvement."

Happy July, all. I'm late this week as I'm on vacation in exotic South Dakota by way of Nebraska. Now there's some world traveling! Let's see how much I can get out before I'm hauled off to my sister's place for tech support or to the Ft. Hays cowboy show. As this is a holiday week, the slate of discs is a bit wee. I did actually see the new Superman film, which I'll talk more about next week (for those who care). For the complete list of DVDs out this week, click here:

Charlie's Angels: The Complete Third Season

Doctor Who: The Complete First Season The new Who series, which is in its second season in the UK, has just finished its first season run here on the SciFi Channel. We liked the show quite a bit and it's pretty easy to pick up even if you never saw the long-lived original run of the show. The only bummer is that Christopher Eccleston, who plays the Doctor in the first season, didn't come back for the second. We liked him a lot, but I'm curious to see who the next guy is. Who fans have been long used to the steady change of actors playing the Doctor. I wonder if they'll ever cast a woman in the part! T'would be interesting.

Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda: Season 5 Collection 5

The Libertine (2004)

The Matador (2005)

See, I told you there wasn't much!