« January 2007 | Main | March 2007 »

"I am relieved to know that I am not a golem."

So, did anyone watch the Oscars last night? We chose to skip it this year. Lame? Well, perhaps. I was glad to hear that Martin Scorsese finally won a directing Oscar after all these years. So let's see what we have for new DVDs this week:

Alice in Cartoonland A collection of very early Walt Disney cartoons from the late 1920s

Alexander - The Final Cut (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) Oliver Stone takes another crack at his epic...with an extra 40 minutes of material.

Bob Dylan: Don't Look Back - 65 Tour Deluxe Edition

The Doris Day Show - Season 4

A Good Year

Magnum PI - Season 6

The Return

The Rockford Files - Season Three

Stranger Than Fiction Will Ferrell alert!!!

"I find everyone's pain amusing, except my own... I'm French!"

Crap, this month is going fast! Our MN cold snap seems to be coming a merciful end. Anything above 20 degrees seems warm right now. If you've got a few minutes, go read this article called "Pirates of the Multiplex," which is a good look at the bit torrent site, Pirate Bay (yes, it's on the Vanity Fair site...go figure). WoW, is still sucking up my free time, so we're even more behind on DVDs, but for those of you who are ready for new stuff, here's this week's list of new DVDs:

49th Parallel (1941) Criterion issues this early Powell/Pressburger film, which was intended to influence the American public to support entering WW2. DVD Savant has an interesting review of the disc here.

Alias Smith and Jones - Season One

Babel (2006)

Bicycle Thieves (1948) Criterion issues a SE of the classic.

Family Ties - The Complete First Season As cheesy as this show was at times, I have to give them a little credit for inserting politics (albeit a jokey kind of "discourse") into a post-Archie Bunker 80s sitcom.

Flushed Away The first (and last?) CG animated film from Aardman (Wallace & Gromit).

For Your Consideration (2006) Christopher Guest's latest mockumentary.

Gandhi: 25th Anniversary Collector's Edition"> New transfer and extras...and I still have never seen this one all the way through...

A Man for All Seasons (1966) A redo of the film with an allegedly better transfer and some new bonus features.

Man of the Year (2006)

When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1960)

"Why is everybody gotta be so freakin' stupid these days?"

Happy Valentines Day this week, for those of you who celebrate the Hallmark holiday. An interesting mix of DVDs this time around, with a bunch of new Blu Ray releases. Check out the whole thing here:

All in the Family - The Complete Sixth Season

Beauty and the Beast: Season 1

The Butcher Boy (1997)

The Departed

Emergency! - Season Three

The Girl in the Bikini (1952)

The Golden Girls - The Complete Seventh and Final Season

Green For Danger (1946)

Hustle: Season 2

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Man About Town (2006)

Marie Antoinette/a> (2006)

Police Story 2 (1993)

Paul Robeson: Portraits of an Artist Criterion issues a Robeson box set which includes: Body and Soul (1925), The Emperor Jones (1933), Sanders of the River (1935), Jericho (1937), The Proud Valley (1940), and Native Land (1942).

School for Scoundrels

The U.S. Vs. John Lennon

Happy Valentines Day this week, for those of you who celebrate the Hallmark holiday. An interesting mix of DVDs this week, with a bunch of new Blu Ray releases. Check out the whole thing here:

Beauty and the Beast: Season 1

The Butcher Boy (1997)

The Departed

Emergency! - Season Three

The Girl in the Bikini (1952)

"Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad."

Eh, you know the deal: click here for the list.

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) New DVD version of the classic that features a new film transfer; much improved, so I understand.

Anything But Love - Volume One

Arabian Nights (1942)

Baywatch: Season 3

Charmed - The Complete Seventh Season More Chahhhhhmed!

Cinderella III: A Twist in Time More direct-to-video Disney.

The Clock (1945)

Coastlines (2006)

Eddie Murphy: Delirious (1983)

Flags of Our Fathers (2006) DVD Savant has a good review of Eastwood's film here.

Flicka (2006)

The Heiress (1949)

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941) The film was remade by Warren Beatty as Heaven Can Wait.

Hollywoodland

James Bond OK, remember before the holidays when MGM put out all those Bond sets? Well, now you can buy the movies individually, sans bonus features, which is a good thing. However, I know they'll be on HD disc before long so consider that before taking the plunge.

Mad About You - The Complete Third Season I still think of Reiser as the betrayer of humanity (See Aliens), but this was still a great sitcom.

Running With Scissors

The Science of Sleep

A Summer Place (1959)