« TOS Rewind #43: "A Piece of the Action" | Main | "You have insulted forces beyond your comprehension." »

"A great impression of simplicity can only be achieved by great agony of body and spirit."

Hello, fellow kids.

I got around to seeing Toy Story 3 recently. I liked it quite a bit and continue to be impressed at Pixar's stream of good movies; not a stinker in the bunch. I saw the movie in 3D and while it's fun to see the depth that the process adds, I don't think it really did that much for this particular movie. The pre-movie short made very good use of 3D and I felt that it paid off there. Many of the elements that make the Toy Story movies good are present here, even if some of it feels a bit recycled. However, sometimes it feels good to return to a comfortable, familiar thing. The feelings of loss and abandonment, even mortality, are carried over from the previous movie. This sense of mortality culminates in a very powerful scene near the end, which brought me to tears. I have to wonder whether this scene should have had a different resolution than it did. Having it turn out the other way, where the characters actually die, would have made for an even more powerful dramatic arc: the Toy Story franchise as an actual tragedy. Then again, I have to be impressed that the movie's creators were actually willing to go as far down that road as they did. This is, after all, a Disney, inc. movie and we can't very well kill the golden goose. Just a thought.

Okay, so let's jump into this week's list of new releases:

Being Human: Series 1 Also on BD.

Cop Out (2010) Also on BD. Roger Ebert had this amusing line in his review: "If you combine the enthusiasms of a geek with the toilet humor of a third grader, you'll be pretty close to defining the art of Kevin Smith. Hey, I'm not complaining. If we lose our inner third grader, we begin to die."

Jersey Shore: Season 1 Everyone's family favorite comes to DVD, uncensored!

Just Another Day (2010) Also on BD.

The Losers (2010) Also on BD.

The Most Dangerous Man in America: Daniel Ellsberg and the Pentagon Papers

Mother (2009) Also on BD.

The Red Shoes (1948) A new restoration from Criterion of the Powell/Pressburger classic. It sounds like it is totally worth picking up.

The Runaways (2010) Also on BD.