« "Don't make fun of grad students. They've just made a terrible life choice." | Main | TOS Rewind #44: "The Immunity Syndrome" »

"What we require now is a feat of linguistic legerdemain and a degree of intrepidity."

A long, damned time. Yes, it has been quite a while since I have written a single word on this poor, pathetic, neglected blog. The multitudinous cries of pain out there in the cyber-darkness confirm that it has been indeed far too long. Oh wait, that was something else...never mind. I will not bore you with the details surrounding my absence from this blog, which has been around in various forms for a number of years. The point is that it's now time for me to resume. I have thought about this a slight bit and as I sit here peering out the window of the MS Zuirdam (cruise ship) en route to Costa Rica. I do not intend to completely return to the old formula where I would list the new releases with occasional commentary. The "standard" entries will now be more focused on things I am actually interested in talking about which may include new video releases, but the blog will be much less comprehensive than it was. There are plenty of other sources for timely release dates for new video titles and I dare say that no one probably missed what I was posting in that area anyway.
Besides the catchall self-indulgent category of "whatever the hell I want to talk about," I am continuing the Star Trek Original Series survey. Eric, Rob, and I have had far too much and gone too far to stop that. Yes, someday we will undoubtedly finish the series, Spock's Brain be damned!
To get things rolling again, I am going to write about more Star Trek. There is another Original Series installment coming soon as well. I just know you are all breathing a massive sigh of relief!

I recently re-watched Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991). I am not entirely sure why I chose this movie; perhaps it was one I had not seen in a long while, but in any case, it stood out. When Star Trek VI came out, it was something I had been eagerly anticipating for some time. Star Trek V was a disaster that VI promised to rectify. Nicholas Meyer, the guy behind Star Trek II, was once again running the show and, well it just HAD to be better, right? In addition, this was in all likelihood going to be the last call for the whole original cast so the bar was set for them to go out on a high note before the Next Generation cast took over.
I won't waste space recounting the story here, but the story and ideas behind VI center around late Cold War anxieties and hopes for the future. In this movie, Kirk and Chang (the grizzled veteran Klingon commander) are the soon-to-be obsolete Cold Warriors (there is even a line in the film where Chang refers to he and Kirk as kindred Cold War spirits) with a very uncertain future in Star Trek's version of the "New World Order." For me, this is one the better elements of this particular installment; the story nicely weaves the death of Kirk's son David (from "Wrath of Khan") into the character of Kirk. Chang is obviously Kirk's mirror image on the Klingon side, so we see how similar the two are in many ways. Even Spock finds himself questioning whether he has gotten too old and inflexible to be of use in this new age. I appreciate the way that then movie is willing to acknowledge the fact that the characters are not what they were and not immune to change. I understand that perhaps this particular set of characters might be best left back in their eternal prime, but if you are going to continue to crank out movies when the actors are in retirement age, it gets pretty ridiculous to keep on pretending that nothing has changed.
The screenplay's way of dealing with the themes of change and loss is handled less clumsily with the characters than it is as it relates to the actual narrative. The obvious desire here is for Kirk and the crew to do just one more heroic, save-the-day action before heading off into the sunset. One problem with the way this is done in the movie is that to make our beloved character's actions possible, the rest of the Universe is made to seem fairly incompetent. The non-Enterprise Federation people really don't look like the have their shit together and while the antagonists appear to be more on-the-ball, they don't seem to have much of a backup plan when Kirk gets involved. While I am on the subject of weaknesses, the character of Valaris (SP?) is just plain irritating. The character needed to be there in some form so that the beans could be spilled, but the way she is written often serves to be an annoyance to Kirk and Spock. She is not at all sympathetic, a trait that even Savik (another introduced character I was not fond of) occasionally had. It is so bad that I don't even recall feeling anything when Spock basically mind-rapes her. This scene turns the good old Vulcan mind-meld into a violation that I cannot imagine Spock or any other non-psycho Vulcan under any circumstances approving of. Yes, the scene is a convenient way of revealing the assassination plot, but it reeks of writer laziness; they could have found a better way to get this done.
The production values are a mixed bag. In some ways, the film just looks cheap. The sets are often just repurposed from Star Trek: The Next Generation and they look it. Not only are the similarities apparent, the interior shots have this look that is perfectly adequate for television, but is lacking on the big screen. I suspect the bulk of this movie's (and other Trek films) budget went to the cast. I can almost buy the argument that the ship sets are supposed to be as creaky as the characters, but isn't this Enterprise supposed to be relatively new (introduced at the end of the fourth movie)? The space effects shots looked fine however.
I watched the Blu-Ray version of the movie. One of the best things about the box set that came out last year is that all the movies are the theatrical cuts. All the previous home video and TV versions of VI were longer cuts that reinstated a few scenes as well as using the non-original aspect ratio of 1.85:1 (or 4:3 if you were unlucky enough). The BD version plays in its proper 'scope ratio of 2.35:1. Having the theatrical cut is actually good here as I have never cared for the extra scenes that were added in the old video versions. I have no doubt that longer versions are forthcoming to spur more repeat Trek purchases. Some traditions never die. Like most of the other films in the recent BD set, the picture looks very good but has had way too much grain reduction and sharpening applied to it. I was able to spot this quite easily on a 50" screen and a good projector would make this even worse. The most glaring issues pop up on actors' faces; they take on this waxy, overly clean look is just wrong. Most of the older Trek films were shot on cheaper, grainier film stock and by over-processing them, they end up looking like this. Yes, the overall image is better than the old DVDs, but they could have done better; maybe next time. I did not have time to take a look at the new bonus materials they did for this set. If anything interesting shows up, I will be sure to post an update.