Campus 3.0

As evidenced by my blog, I spend a lot of time reading Fast Company articles due to my involvement/interest in the combination of communication, business and design. This morning while reading I found an article titled "Designing Colleges for More than Just Connectivity," written by Maddy Burke-Vigeland an architect and Principal for global design firm, Gensler.

The article is based off of two years of surveying and research done by Gensler looking at students preferences for learning around campus and how college designs are either meeting or not meeting these preferences. It shows for example, how about 2/3 of students prefer to study alone but would rather have interactive discussions in class- basically opposite of what's offered at most schools. Overall it proposes less focus on technology in the classroom and more focus on methods to help kids learn, including increased discussion time in classes.