Week 13: My Definition of Leadership

Last Week's Definition: Leadership is recognizing differences in people's individual backgrounds and values and incorporating those values into a cultural value that everyone in the group can share.

This Week's Definition: Leadership is turning to God in your troubles; a leader is someone who listens to God, so ultimately the best leadership belongs to God.

Analysis: Last week my definition focused on incorporating individuals' values into your group's cultural values. I got this idea from doing the "Cultural Detectives" packet, because in the packet we had to evaluate what some of our own personal values are, and then see how those values play into our cultural values, and the importance of understanding other people's individual values and cultural values as well. This week I got my definition of leadership from personal experiences. This week I had a lot of personal struggles and I felt like I was drowning in problems, and I felt like I had no direction or idea as how to proceed. Then I came to the realization that I don't always have to know what to do, or what to say; that God should be directing my steps, because He is ominous. If I can follow God's will then I will lead myself, and others, far better than I ever could in my own right.

Week 11: My New Definition of Leadership

Last Week's Definition: Leadership is seeing the needs of others and sacrificing your own needs in order to meet the needs of others, and stepping up and taking responsibility and action not only for yourself, but for a group of people.

This Week's Definition: Leadership is recognizing differences in people's individual backgrounds and values and incorporating those values into a cultural value that everyone in the group can share.

Analysis: Last week my definition was drawn from the inspiration I had from our 5 minutes of inspiration. The 5 minutes of inspiration was about veteran's day, and about the sacrifices that are made in order for our country to be protected. This week my definition focuses on incorporating individuals' values into your group's cultural values. I got this idea from doing the "Cultural Detectives" packet, because in the packet we had to evaluate what some of our own personal values are, and then see how those values play into our cultural values, and the importance of understanding other people's individual values and cultural values as well.

Week 10: My New Definition of Leadership

Last Week's Definition: Leadership helping people overcome their limitations, one's leadership ought to be grounded in their dreams.

This Week's Definition: Leadership is seeing the needs of others and sacrificing your own needs in order to meet the needs of others, and stepping up and taking responsibility and action not only for yourself, but for a group of people.

Analysis: My definition of leadership has changed from last week to this week. Last week my definition focused on overcoming limitations and being grounded in one's dreams. I got these ideas from the readings The Real Reason People Won't Change" and "An Overview of International Change From a Leadership Perspective." This week I my definition was drawn from the inspiration I had from our 5 minutes of inspiration today. Our 5 minutes of inspiration was about veteran's day, and about the sacrifices that both soldiers and their families make in order to protect our country. I find these men and families so inspirational and I think that our servicemen are the quintessential symbol of leadership.

Sources:
Boyatzis, R.E. (2006). An overview of international change from a leadership perspective. Journal of Management Development, 25 (7), 607-623. doi: 10.1108/02621710610678445

Kegan, R., & Lahey, L.L. (2001). The Real reason people won't change. Harvard Business Review, 79(10), 85-92. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.login/aspx?direct=true&db=keh&AN=18217059&site=ehost-live

Week 8: 7th Definition of Leadership

Last Week's Definition: Leadership is being leading by example and being the best person that you can be even when things get hard. Leadership is pushing through the hard times and being vulnerable and creating an environment that allows others to feel comfortable to be vulnerable as well.

This Week's Definition: Leadership helping people overcome their limitations, one's leadership ought to be grounded in their dreams.

Analysis: My definition of leadership has changed from last week to this week. Last week my definition was focused on leadership as a more personal examination of who you are. This week my definition also includes what a leader should do for their "followers." My idea of helping people overcome their limitations as a characteristic of leadership comes from this week's assigned reading, "The Real Reason People Won't Change." The idea that leadership ought to be grounded in one's dreams also comes from an assigned reading, "An Overview of International Change From a Leadership Perspective."

Sources:

Week 7: Sixth Definition of Leadership

Last Week's Definition of Leadership: Leadership is being leading by example and being the best person that you can be even when things get hard. Leadership is pushing through the hard times and being vulnerable and creating an environment that allows others to feel comfortable to be vulnerable as well.

This Week's Definition of Leadership: Leadership is about having a vision, taking action, having a passion, and being convicted.

Analysis: My Definition of Leadership has changed from last week to this week in that last week mostly focused on being vulnerable, while this week's definition focused on the first two words from our VASE acronym, a leadership presentation, and today's 5 minutes of inspiration. The first two parts of this week's definition, having a vision and taking action, come from the acronym VASE. I learned that part of being a leader is also about being passionate about whatever you are doing, I got this idea from Laura's Leadership Presentation. The last part of this week's definition of leadership came from today's 5 minutes of inspiration, which was a video of a man talking about the importance of conviction in your words and actions.

Week 6: Fifth Definition of Leadership

Last Week's Definition of Leadership: Leadership is leading by example by being the best person that you can be, this will encourage the people surrounding you to also be the best person that they can be. If everyone is being the best that they can be, then as a collective group amazing results will soon follow.

This Week's Definition of Leadership: Leadership is being leading by example and being the best person that you can be even when things get hard. Leadership is pushing through the hard times and being vulnerable and creating an environment that allows others to feel comfortable to be vulnerable as well.

Definition Analysis: This week's definition stayed the same in that it still keeps the concept of leading by example and being the best person that you can be. It has changed in that it has added the idea of pushing through hard times. This was added to my definition because during 5 minutes of inspiration today we watched a YouTube video of the Dr. Seuss book, "Oh the Places You'll Go" and it talked about how during your life journey you may go through lonely periods, and scary periods, but if you can push through it all that you will come out better for it. I also added to my definition of leadership the fact that it's important for a leader to be both vulnerable and to create a safe environment for others to be vulnerable as well, I added this because throughout the majority of today's class time we discussed the importance of being vulnerable and opening up about our lives. I had never thought of being vulnerable as part of being a leader until our discussion today.

Citation:
Seuss, Dr. Oh, the Places You'll Go! New York: Random House, 1990. Print.

Week 5: Fourth Definition of Leadership

Last Week's Definition of Leadership: Leadership is giving a group purpose, structure, and providing time frames and limits for the group, while recognizing a common vision, that corresponds with the group's values and behavior.

This Week's Definition of Leadership: Leadership is leading by example by being the best person that you can be, this will encourage the people surrounding you to also be the best person that they can be. If everyone is being the best that they can be, then as a collective group amazing results will soon follow.

My definition this week has changed from last week's definition of leadership because last week's definition of leadership is focused on how a leader should structure a group. This week I didn't feel as strongly about the kind of structure that a leader should use in order to lead a group, the Leadership Journey Presentations in class have made me think about leadership in a more relational way. Today John Yang brought the 5 minutes of inspiration in for the class and it was a quote about leading by example. My initial definition of leadership also expressed the need to lead by example, and his quote made me re-relize the importance of leading by example. John Hurderle also inspired part of my definition of leadership today. During his Leadership Journey Presentation he mentioned the importance of being the best person that you can be in order to be a leader, and that really rang true to me. Although my definition of leadership this week doesn't have much to do with choking or panicking, the story at the end of the reading played into the idea of being the best kind of person that you can be and leading by example are both parts of leadership. I found it inspiring that Flado, who won the 1996 Masters due to the fact that Norman choked, didn't become prideful or rub it in Normans face, but rather the two commiserated together over the fact that Norman choked.

Sources:
Gladwell, M. (2000). "The Art of Failure: Why some people choke and others panic." the New Yorker, 84-92.

Week 3: My Third Definition of Leadership

Last Week's Definition of Leadership: Leadership is being selfless and recognizing a common vision, that corresponds with one's values and behavior, for a group of people, and then steering those people towards that vision.

This Week's Definition of Leadership: Leadership is giving a group purpose, structure, and providing time frames and limits for the group, while recognizing a common vision, that corresponds with the group's values and behavior.

My definition of leadership has changed from last week to this week.The new definition still includes the fact that a leader should lead a group towards a vision that corresponds with the leader's and the group's values and bahaviors. This idea came from an excerpt from, "Base your leadership values on personal values." The new definition added the fact that a leader should give his or her group purpose, structure, and provide a time frame and limit for the group. This idea came from "Interacting in Teams and Groups."

Lee, R.J. & King, S.N. (2001). Base your leadership values on personal values. Discovering the leader in you: A guide to realizing your personal leadership potential (pp. 55-70). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Komives, S.R., Lucas, N., & McMahon, T.R. (1998). "Interacting in Teams and Groups." Exploring Leadership: For college students who want to make a difference (pp. 165-194). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Week 2: Second Definition of Leadership

Last week's definition of leadership: Leadership is being selfless and seeing what is best for a person or group of people and being able to successfully guide them to taking the best path. A good leader leads by example.

This week's definition of leadership: Leadership is being selfless and recognizing a common vision, that corresponds with one's values and behavior, for a group of people, and then steering those people towards that vision.

My definition of leadership has changed from last week to this week. Then new definition of leadership includes the fact that there is a common vision for the leader and the group of followers. This definition also includes the fact that the vision that the group is working towards must correspond with the leader's values and behaviors. I added this to my definition of leadership because of the reading assigned for this week, "Base your leadership values on personal values." This reading talked about hte importance of not losing sight of your values and how important it is to include these values in your leadership.

Week 1: Initial Definition of Leadership

Leadership is being selfless and seeing what is best for a person or group of people and being able to successfully guide them to taking the best path. A good leader leads by example.