Class technologies

Staff development can occur in many forms and I need to stay abreast of the various types. Just like students, teachers have different learning styles and I need to differentiate their learning opportunities.

Things to do:
Create an account in tappedin.com
Share Portaportal.com with Barb to organize media use
Visual Thesaurus – Show English department & Kathy L.
eFoli – Tina w/social studies
Explorelearning.com – share w/Susan, Pat & Karla
30 free trial
Per/student cost
Buy an old Palm pilot for Maria
Talk to Jonathon about using some of these technologies in all of the Business Classes

Technology Staff Dev Models

Mentoring and pairing new teachers with experienced teachers allows the excitement of new teachers to exude out to experienced teachers while master teachers can share their knowledge/teaching expertise. This might be a great way to excite master teachers about technology. How teachers in buildings are connecting with each other about what they are doing in their classrooms is very important to building on each others pedagogy use of technology and content use of technology.

After the presentations on ways to conduct professional development, I feel that one way is better than the other or that a school should adopt one approach over another. I believe that schools need to implement “differentiated? staff development models. Teacher needs are different and one model doesn’t fit all.

Technology Integrationists

One of the frustrating areas for pre-service training teachers is there lack learning how to effectively integrate technology into the curriculum. This doesn’t make much sense. I believe that higher education teacher programs are not fulfilling its responsibility for preparing future teachers to meet the needs to the net generation.

Getting teachers on-board to use technology is a full time job and it must occur. I believe that there needs to be more show-n-tell occurring in schools to educate and excite teachers to integrate technology. This can occur in numerous ways. If technology is going to be fully integrated, it has to either be directed from top down (of which I don’t suggest) or implemented by the teacher.

Because technology is an emerging field within education, it will take time for it to be diffused through out education. As a leader in implementing technology integration, my job is to continually search for ways to do this. I plan on talking to my principal about ideas I have about helping teachers with technology integration. The one big question I need to keep before me is “What is getting in their way or what are they afraid of??

Oh! Oh! I do remove technology use from students when they have used it inappropriately. I need to rethink this issue and do some problem solving to better address issues.

Wednesday Frameworks to assess technology

I came away with a better understanding of how to use these technology evaluative tools. I believe that as a leader in technology, these tools can be used to help teachers better understand how they are integrating technology into the computer. Is learning occurring from technology or with technology? These tools must not be used as ways to evaluate teacher use of technology but rather as a formative tool to evaluate how the technology is being used by the students for learning.

I find that using the RAT technology assessment tool asists with how the technology is being used. Although, I need to spend more time wrapping my arms on the model so that I can help teachers and leaders understand how technology is being used and where do we need to move to.