Boy, 9, to be charged in shooting of girl, 8

Charges are expected to be filed against a 9-year-old boy who brought a gun to his Washington state elementary school that went off and critically hurt a classmate.

At the end of school Wednesday, a bullet went through 8 year-old Amina Kocer Bowman's backpack and into her abdomen. She remained in critical condition Thursday after surgery at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, hospital spokeswoman Leila Gray said.

Under Washington state law children between 8 and 12 years old can face charges if a court determines the child has the ability to understand an act is wrong, prosecutor Todd Dowell told CBS News.

Investigators were trying to determine how the 9-year-old boy got the .45 caliber gun from his mother's house and why he would bring it to school.

"I just want everyone to know that my kid made a mistake. It was a terrible mistake," the boy's father, Jason Cochran, told the Associated Press outside the courtroom.

I am truly shocked. I mean how is this possible, how can kids take a gun without being seem and bring it to school again without anyone see that or try to stop it? The situation should be changed radically and all the parents, children and teachers should become more careful.

Holiday